Skip to main content

OK, time to jump in and share my experiences with the FEC100.
I am very new to the FEC100, having had my unit less than a full month.

First, some information about my FEC100.

At the time of ordering the FEC100, the cover and the meat probe, I was delighted to have been informed that the total cost to me was going to be about $350.00 less than I had counted on. At this point I was pretty HAPPY.

At the time of ordering, I was told that it would be three weeks before it would be delivered. In fact it was delivered to me in only two weeks. At this point I was MORE HAPPY than before.

When delivered, the FEC100 and all of the ancillary items (racks, wood pellets, rubs, hotel pan, sauces, mixes, owner’s manual and the FEC100 cover) were all in pristine and undamaged condition. I was even MORE HAPPY than before, even though the meat probe would need to come at a later date (out of stock).

I had trouble from the time that I had ordered the unit until it was delivered trying to find a five inch elbow and rain cap that would fit and function in such a manner so as not to impact the functionally of the smoker/oven. I also wanted it to look GREAT. With few choices available from the local building supply stores (LOWES, HOME DEPOT etc.) I ended up buying a five-inch diameter 90 degree chrome diesel exhaust elbow and matching chrome clamp, on line from IOWA 80. It is installed in the vertical position and looks amazing on the smoker. When smoking I add a high flow rain cap (very similar to the one shown by “SMOKINOKIE”) just stuck right into his FEC100 exhaust pipe (no elbow). When not smoking I remove the rain cap and replace it with a five inch to six inch expansion collar an then insert a six inch duct cap (plug) to keep out uninvited guests, leaves and what ever should not get in my smoker.

My Location:
I live in Palmdale CA. The front of my house faces due south. The wind, 95% of the time, comes from the west-south-west. The FEC100 is located on a covered (part solid cover, and part shade-bar cover) patio, adjacent to the house in the back yard. As the wind is bifurcated by the orientation of my house, it meets in the patio area coming from the east, north and from the west. This results in swirling gusts that come from all directions, and at times it seems they converge at the same time. I am talking about winds ranging from a breeze to over thirty MPH at times. This was one of my concerns when I ordered the FEC100.

My short history with the FEC100 and my exhaust system has put aside any such fears.
True, I have had only a few Cooking Smokes, and the original seasoning session, but I have yet to have the FEC100 “FLAME OUT” or challenge me with of any the other problems that I have read about, that would give me cause to question my decision to purchase this amazing and fine smoking machine. KNOCK ON WOOD (PELLETS that is).

To date I have smoked, (at different times) #(1) six full racks of loin back ribs, #(2) two chickens, and just this past weekend my # (3) was my first brisket. They all turned out great, to my surprise (that being due to my lack of smoking experience)

I will say that I did buy the Maverick-732 Remote Thermometer as an independent means of verifying the temperatures in the smoker. My use of the FEC100 showed that the controller temperature needed to be set about eight degrees lower than temperature that I wanted. This, to me was completely acceptable and may have even been caused by my placement of the BBQ probe in the smoker. I placed it on a rack that was (in the seven rack system) one rack position above the FEC-100 controller probe and on the smoker door side of the brisket. Also, the temperature tracking during the smokes have stayed within a window of about 10 degrees. Temperature recovery cycles as well were generally no higher that about twenty degrees above the set point on the controller.

Just a note the Maverick-732 worked great and was a great comfort during the all night long brisket smoke. I was so paranoid about a flame out or a fire during the smoke but the FEC-100 performed flawlessly. Again what a machine and with the diesel exhaust elbow, a right fine work of art.

I intend to continue learning from each smoke and refine the process, a task that I do not expect will ever end. But so far, my baby steps have been huge.

The short story is I LOVE THIS SMOKER!!!!!

In closing, I would wish that more posters could, if possible, provide the following information in their posts, if appropriate, as an aid to new FEC100 users like me.
Product
Product weight
Cook and hold times.
Controller set temperature.
Measured internal smoker temperature or cycle ranges.
Location (in the smoker of item being smoked and the location of independent temperature probe if any.
Pellets being used, (100%)hard-wood provides little information. Are they a blend and if
so, the flavor wood vs. cook wood %’s or are they 100% flavor and what flavor?

If reasons for being unable to include such information have previously been hashed out here in the forum I apologize for bringing it up. It is just that I would like all of the help that I can get. Sorry for the long post.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Very nice post! I too have been an owner of an FEC for about 2 months. I have about 14 or more cooks (dont rembemeber too well....I'm getting old and forgetful Big Grin)on my smoker and have never had a problem, no flame outs, just great results. I REALLY like the FEC a LOT!! I have had my AmeriQue for about 9 month and although it too is a great piece of equipment, I prefer the FEC.
You will find that your cooking horizon will be opened up to new adventures. Yesterday I cooked a blow out "Q" feed for a local fire station for their annual family picnic. At 8:00PM the night before (4) pork butts and a 10 pound brisket flat went on. At 4:00AM 3 full sparerib racks went on and at 7:30 (30) chicken thighs a (30) drumsticks went on.I wrapped the brisket and pork butts in foil at 8:30 The temp for the whole cook was 224 degrees. Everything was pulled at 10:30AM and packaged in foil trays and lids from Sam's Club.
Everything was perfect, they were blown away and I didn't loose a minutes sleep. (except at 4:00AM) I don't know how it could get any better but I do know at contests I'm not a walking zombi like the stick burning guys.
Very good post!
Welcome to the family and congratulations on the purchase and the trouble free start up
I am still plotting my strategy for purchasing my FEC, and I now believe I have finally found an angle that will make the boss happy.
Iowa 80 isn’t far from where I live, I frequently drive by it.
When they make their claim to be “The World’s Largest Truck Stop” they aren’t kidding!
quote:
Originally posted by Pags:
It would be great if you posted a picture of your smoker with the diesel exhaust elbow. Love to see it.

Ditto on the pics!! Big Grin I'm SURE your chrome stack is a LOT better looking than my corrugated stove elbow and the two pieces of stove pipe on my FEC stack Wink. I would really like to see your FEC!!!
The elbow's short end is expanded and also has a number of slots cut in the expanded area so that the clamp can pull it tight against the exhaust pipe of the FEC100. Will try and post some pictures. Thanks to SMOKIN (Russ) for his help in posting these pictures

This is the FEC100 as I store it,

This is a close-up of the diesel elbow, the 5" to 6" adapter and the duct 6" duct plug.

This shows the FEC100 ready to smoke (less the rain cap)

This is a close up of the adapter and duct plug.

This is a close up of the diesel elbow.

This is the diesel elbow and the rain cap instslled while the smoker is doin its thing.

this shows the FEC100 ready to load and get smokin. If anyone wants the Iowa 80 item numbers for the diesel elbow and clamp email me and I will send them along Just a note I did need to remove the bottom rivet from the small end of the 5" to 6" adapter to allow it to fit the outside DIA. of the diesel elbow. Hope these pics. provides some idea of how I vent my FEC100.
Doug
Last edited by Former Member
Russ,
From "Iowa 80" a very large truck stop in Iowa.

Elbow is their item No. 62356....$84.99
Clamp is thear item No. 62281....$17.99
Shipping.........................$16.88
Total...$119.86
to each his own, but it does look great,and thanks again for the help.

Doug
My Elbow came in with a ding/chip on the straight cut end so I called Iowa 80. They are shipping me a replacement and a prepaid return label. Big props for good customer service thus far.

I was able to find a 5" "cap" or "duct end" at my local Home Depot that fits right over the straight end of the elbow and right over the fec pipe. It was only a few bucks.

AS far as making the stack go above the fec100 I have learned that the galvanized 5"x 24" duct pipe will not fit in the Iowa 80 elbow. There is a chrome 5" x 24" pipe sold via phone and not on the web site of Iowa 80 for $67 but I checked ebay and found one for $35. I have to wait a week to buy it as I am out of play money but it is on my list.
Be aware, that when you add any sort of pipe, vent, cap etc it WILL change the airflow dymanics. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I've seen posts and talked with some that they actually got a backpressure that kept the first from burning.

Just watch it closely for the first few cooks.
I purchased my elbow at a local TruckPro center for about half the price of getting one from Iowa 80. TruckPro has them for $56 bucks, but I have no idea whether one is better than the other. Mine looks the same as the one from Iowa 80. TruckPro doesn't show their components on-line like Iowa 80, though.
Smokin...thanks for the warning. considering these units are really made to be piped to a vent or out of a restaurant I assume they are designed to have some pipe on them.

I have now ordered the 24" chrome stack and have to get the right lap joint to affix the fancy vaccustack cap that is recommended by cookshack and came with my unit.
quote:
Originally posted by Basic Patrick:
... considering these units are really made to be piped to a vent or out of a restaurant I assume they are designed to have some pipe on them.

First I've heard that statement made, so maybe we should discuss it. They are not designed to HAVE pipe on them. Key word. MAY have pipe on them would be accurate.

The FE is a multi-use cooker, not specifcally a restaurant cooker. Home cooks (me), comp cooks and restaurants/catering also.

The FE100 was not originally designed by FE with that 5" vent as a restaurant cooker, so CS hasn't changed the design specifically for Restaurant use BUT has gotten it NSF certified to help with that.

As for venting options, you might contact CS direct.

There are not designed to have pipe on them directly from CS and be warned, putting pipe on them will change the airflow. People have started having flameouts because of changing airflows. CS will likely tell you, especially in a restaurant that you need to add an evacuator to the vent to help pull the air (depending on length)

There are a lot of threads out there about flameouts, etc that can be traced back to new vent changes.

I'm not saying don't do it, just be aware that in ANY cooker, when you change airflow, you change how it was designed.

Simple solution seems to be the inline fan. There was a recent thread about that, I'll see if I can find it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.