Skip to main content

First try at Canadian Bacon.

Ingredients:
5.79 lb Half Loin
6.55 grams Cure #1
59.5 grams Kosher Salt
39.4 grams Dark Muscovado Sugar
10 grams Fresh Ground Tellicherry Pepper

Mixed ingredients and put in rub shaker for easy distribution.

I applied about 85% of the cure to the bare meat and the rest to the fat cap.

Wrapped in plastic wrap that I had on the table when i rubbed it and then vacuum sealed.

Labeled the bag and put it in the 38º fridge. I will leave it in for 9-14 days then smoke it up.

More in a couple weeks Smiler
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have a small piece of loin wet brining right now for CB. Where did you get your muscavado? I ordered some from amazon a while ago. Good stuff, but realized it was that different enough from dark brown sugar to make it worth the price. I used it in some nice recipes from the UK. Definitely a nice sugar if you can find it cheaper.

Which vacuum sealer is that? Cabellas Pro or the one from the Internet? How do you like it? (have we had this conversation before???)
Fridged at 38º for 14 days flipping and massaging daily.

Rinsed well in cold water, test fried a 1/4" slice, it was was perfect salt wise.

Put under high powered fan for 1.5 hours to form nice pellicle. (forgot to take pic)

Placed fat cap down in smoker and brushed with maple syrup.

Cold smoked with 2 AMNPS full of pecan pellets for 8 hours

Outside temp 35º inside FEC temp averaged 88º.

After cold smoke.

AMNPS after 8 hour burn.

Flipped to fat cap up and added probe.

Set Smoker to 230º (with a mix of Hickory, Cherry and Maple pellets) till internal temp reached 142º (2.5 hours) then pulled and foiled for 2 hours then transferred to fridge overnight rest.

Sliced it up today, was pretty impressed with it cold, will be great for sandwiches, tender and moist.

No more half loins, I have never been a big Canadian bacon fan but I think I have been converted Smiler
Last edited by richh

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.