Skip to main content

I have smoked ribs a couple times with decent success, but never the wow factor that I wanted. All previous attempts were on a charcoal smoker. So, after working on a rub and a finishing sauce, I decided to give it another go.

Went to Sam's club and picked up a package with 3 racks in it. I vac sealed one and smoked the other two. I St. Louis styled them and removed the membrane. I put my rub on both sides and let it sit for 1/2 hour to really set in. 4.5 hours on the smoker and then I mopped them with my finished bbq sauce. I then double foiled them for 1/2 hour and served.

They had a slight tug but came off the bone very easy. I think I may bump the cook time and the foil time about 15 minutes just to play with it.

These were unbelievable.

Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Fantastic job on the ribs and the photos.

The only suggestion I would caution is trying to 'add 15 min on the foil' there is so much variance in weight, thickness etc, go with another option to decide. Figure out how tender they are and use that as the judge. I recommend the toothpick test.

You've done a heck of a start, hard to improve on that.

Russ
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
Fantastic job on the ribs and the photos.

The only suggestion I would caution is trying to 'add 15 min on the foil' there is so much variance in weight, thickness etc, go with another option to decide. Figure out how tender they are and use that as the judge. I recommend the toothpick test.

You've done a heck of a start, hard to improve on that.

Russ
Thanks!! I plan on toothpicking it next time. I know it was very close.
So if I am understanding right, it sounds like you took them off, sauced and foiled to rest. That sounds like what I would do when I use sauce. Sometimes I just use a rub. But I would ftc them in that nice moist sauced environment until I was ready to eat, wether it was 15 min or an hour if I needed to. They look great! I love how the pics came out.

I just made some a few nights ago and had the leftovers for lunch today.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.