Skip to main content

I just got my 009 in on the 29th. I seasoned it , set out for my inagural smoke. It was a 3.5 lb pork butt I had left over from cutting it from a larger one earlier in the week. I set the 009's temp for 225, and the Taylor probe for 195. 9 hours later it came to temp, I foiled/towel/coolered it for an hour and boom, perfection the pork just pulled apart like it was catered, delicious. The next morning I put in a 8.5 lb pork butt same thing 225 for 009 temp with the taylor set at 195. 11 hours later it was still hovering around 169, then it went down to 160. I checked the thermometer in the meat, and cranked it up to 250, (friends were coming over)with in a hour the Taylor read 201.5 oops... I foiled it and let it sit in the foil/towel and cooler. Took it out, pulled the fat cap off, and attempted to pulled apart with forks, and the meat was tougher, I mean it was moist but not nearly the same as the 3.5lb earlier. I had to chop it up with a knife and then try to pull it apart, it was more chunks than shreads. Our guest loved it anyway. Any suggestions??
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Depends on how long it was at 180 degrees or above. It takes at least 30 minutes at or above 180 for the collagen (connective tissue) to start breaking down. I wrap and finish for several hours at 195-200 degrees myself. And then there are times when you will have a tough butt even though you took it to temp. I think sometimes it's just the cut of meat
Seems like sometimes ya just get a "tough pig". If you can find choice brisket rather than select grade that helps. Remember too, that it's not just time and temp. Poke your therm. probe near the end to see how it's doing. Don't always have the luxury when folks are coming over though. I've learned to plan waaaaaaaay ahead and let it rest. Even 4 to 5 hours in a warm cooler wrapped in foil and towels works. Keep at it. As I've read elsewhere, if all else fails we can always make chili!

Jack

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.