Skip to main content

I have a new CS160 and have questions about the presentation of pork ribs. I really liked the looks and taste of my ribs out of my old wood smoker (just too much work to do on a regular basis). The taste out of the CS160 is great, but the meat looks grey. Doesn't have the smoke ring/redness. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Chris
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You're not going to produce a smoke ring with an electric oven. Some owners say they'll get a hint of SR adding a few charcoal briquettes to the wood box.

As for grey meat, are you referring to outer or inner color? What type of wood are you using? When smoking ribs in the Amerique, the outer color is mahogany brown. If you're looking to give the outside a more traditional appearance, try painting them with sauce during the last 30 minutes.

Hope that helps you.
Thanks Tom and Max! I'm using a rub with paprika, brown sugar in equal amounts, then salt and pepper, little dried mustard and cayenne.

I have gone all over the board with temps, from 225 to 190.

Wood has been apple or hickory chunks.

Tom, I think you hit it with your last post. Opening the door gives off a lot of steam. And that is what I think the meat looks like when it's done. Steamed. I didn't buy the power vent for the smoker. Is it possible that there is not enough air being drawn through the machine and therefore not carrying away the excess moisture?
One other thought...how many racks do you usually smoker per load? The more racks per load, the more steam produced. Dumping steam more frequently might help you.

And finally, any chance you're using enhanced ribs? They will further contribute steam. All in all, too much steam will hinder natural caramelization...which is probably producing the greyish appearance.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.