Skip to main content

well it's done...I pulled the trigger on a Smokette 008 !!

Ordered from WC Canada! order confirmation received, now the tracking number is awaited!!

I now can only read and get informed on what to do when the baby arrives??

What can I read? is there a pdf user manual?

any links to some "Smokette new owner 101" ?

what is seasoning ?

What should I smoke first ?

is the 5lbs of hickory included "a lot" or just for 2-3 smokes ?

I have 3 logs of original sugar maple at home, could I cut them in 1x1x2 chunks and use them in the SM008 ?

Thanks!!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Way to go Freak.

Good questions also.

Seasoning is a sort of flavoring and conditioning process. First, you put 2-3 chunks of that hickory in the wood box and turn up to 225* or so and smoke it up for a few hours. 6 should do it. Next is conditioning the metal with a big fatty hunk of pork such as a butt or shoulder. Use a thermometer probe and slow cook it at about 225* until the internal meat temp reaches 195* or so. Spice it up good first. Don't forget the 4 oz. or so of wood. Line the bottom of the smoker with foil, poke a drip hole, place a drip pan. Cover the top of the woodbox with foil also. I would put the pork at the highest rack level possible without touching the top of the smoker. After you remove the meat, let the smoker cool down to warm, throw away foil, put racks, grills, in dishwasher or a tub to soak, wipe out inside with papertowels or similar. Leave the seasoning in there. Yep, just like castiron cookware. The 5 pounds hickory will last a long time. Each chunk is close to 2 oz. The maple is excellent as long as it is very dry.

Good luck!

Cool
quote:
Originally posted by Wheelz:

Alwys remember "It's done when it's done!"

Good luck & have fun! Smiler

do I have to keep the door closed ?? (joke)

After being a member for almost one year now, the two things I know for sure is that "it's done when it's done" and "Keep the door closed" !!

Well Thanks for all the info!...

just noticed that the CC has been charged...
Humm!!! Hé hé can't wait!!...should be there by Monday, latest Tuesday!!

Just checked on UPS's website and they state that it arrived at their expedition point here in Montreal !!

Can't wait!!!

Well, I have a simple question...

When you cook, let say a brisket, for ± 15 hours with 4oz of hickory, will the Smokette generates smoke for the whole 15hours ? or for a certaintime, whi will be enough for not tasting too bitter ?

Simpler, how long is 4oz of wood generate smoke?

Also the chunks of hickory that comes with the Smokette are 2 oz or 1 oz weight ?
No, the wood won't last that long but don't worry. You brisket will have absorbed all the smoke you'll need. An unproven theory is that meat will not take on smoke after the outside temp reaches 140˚. I beleve it's true.

Don't know how much each piece of wood weighs - weigh it!. Maybe a recent purchaser can chime in and help with that question

And - Do Not Cook By Time! Cook by internal temp. While you are awaiting you smoker, go out and buy a digital therm. I prefer Taylor or Maverick. It will be one of the best investements you make (besides the Cookshack, of course!).

Good luck!
Last edited by wheelz
Well it arrived today!!

Wow that thing is build like a tank!! I like the bomb proof latch for the door!!

Is it normal it was manufactured a year ago ?

there where a sort of sandy thing all around inside it ?? I cleaned it with some Mr Clean...jokin' just with water!! now it's nice and shiny!!

I'm just a little bit concerned about the wood, there is some sort of greenish little sparkels on most of them ? is this normal ?

and there was a weird bug inside the box of wood I left it outside for the night!!
Well it seasoned for 7 hours with 3 chinks of hickory!

now the inside is tinted dark brown !!

next stage...pork butt!!

I witnessed the famous "whhssshhhhhhh" discussed in another topic because I was doing some yardwork next to it!!! quite special!

I installed my Maverick Smoker temp probe to see the temp...quite steady !!

set at 250, it travelled between 240 and 270 and set at 200, it was even more stable between 190 and 220...

I have 3 slabs of back ribs that are just ready!!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.