Skip to main content

I also joined the club this week and ordered my FEC100. I belive I ordered everything I need to get a good start: rib rack, cover, pellets, and meat probe. I bought and returned a TRaeger last year. I thought that would be enough and it probably would have been but mine had large temperature sawings that we could not seem to control even with CS. The food that came out was good but sometimes it would cook too hot for me and I figured I would save and get an FEC.

Once it is here I will be ready to seasons and get smoking. My "beg" event is not until the first weekend in August so I should have some time to test it out on the 4th of july as well.

I do have a couple of questions:

1. can you use TRaeger pellets in an FEC? I figured since the augur system is very similar it should not be a problem but wanted to ask. I was preparing to keep the traeger and have extra pellets that I thought would use in the FEC.

2. I saw a mix of answers with regards to extensiuon cords. I plan on bringing an outlet to where I set the FEC up but it may not be ready for the first few smokes. I have 12/3 heavy duty to carry the power over about 20'. Are there any concerns with this setup?

Thanks and I look forward to the arrival.

Scraps
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

IMO,yes you can use treager pellets for the break in period to help season it. then get some much better pellets to cook with, such as a call to candy sue. On the use of the extention cord you mentioned, It will be ok to use, It's what I use at contest's with no problem. hope this help's.
quote:
Originally posted by Scraps:
2. I saw a mix of answers with regards to extensiuon cords.

Scraps

ALL of those comments are for the electric CS's, not the FE's. CS has two complete different lines of smokers, the Electrics and the FE's

You can use any pellets you want. Everyone has their preferences and it's good to try many types and you'll find ones you like. Traeger has two varieties, white bag is Alder based and mixed with other wood and silver bag is oak based mixed with other wood of the type you select.
I set up the FEC and it strted right up. Set the temp at 300 for a couple of hours and then brought it back down to 220. Put a thawed boneless butt in and fixed some good pulled pork. It worked like a charm.

Now that it is broekn in I can start learning the ins and outs of this cooker. It was fairly rock solid with minimal temperature swings.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.