Skip to main content

I have this included in my order with my FEC120 but I am wondering if its worth the $200 or am I better off spending that on something else?

I see that many are using the hold feature in reverse, starting at 180 then upping it to 225-275º ect. Can you change the settings after it hits the (225-275º) hold temp, like then setting it to your actual (say 195º for a butt)?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Two different methods.

If you're using the probe, then it's detecting the final temp.

I'm not sure if anyone using a probe has done a two stage temp combined with a probe (I'd call that 3 step).

You "might" (again, I don't have a 120) be able to use the two stage for overnight and in the morning, reset it to a probe temp for finishing.

Me? I don't use a probe. It's great if you're doing a lot of cooking, but I like to spend a little time with my Q. It's just me.

I know a # of people love the Probe method, so maybe they can jump in and give their thoughts.

It works great, just depends on how you want to use it -- if you're truly looking for a set it forget it type.
I ordered the Probe for the FEC 100 and have used it only once or twice. Doing over again, I would have not ordered it. I used the probe with my smaller electric smokers all the time, but the FEC holds so much more, that every piece of meat will have a slightly different temp. At the same time, I purchased a remote maverick, which I use extensively. I think that is all you need, but that's just me. I like the maverick 732 dual probe. Granted it does not kick the smoker temp down automatically, but I usually use the time hold feature instead of the temp anyway.
I have the FEC-100 with the probe.
The only time I ever use it is on butts and chuck rolls.
I put the smaller pieces on the middle 2 racks and the larger ones on the top and bottom racks.
The probe goes in the smallest piece.
I don't think that there is a way to do a 3 stage cook automatically. I wish there was.
I set the temp @ 180 with 2 hours on the timer. (Wanting some smoke)
Get my sides, prep work and cleaning done for the next day.
Then manually switch to the probe mode @ 185 and let it do it's thing @ 224. (about 6 p.m.)
Hold temp is set for 160.
I switch to the probe mode when I go home (or come back, if too early) and when I get back in the morning the small ones are (usually) done and ready to pull.
Switch the top and bottom racks.
Then I go to the manual mode and ramp the temp to 250 and put my 2 full rib racks in. Check the remaining pieces with my Thermopen to know where I'm at and put ET-732 probes in the smallest and the largest pieces.
Fire up the FAT-50 and get beans and mac & cheese on.
I open @ 11 and close when it's gone. (usually around 4)
Sorry, I don't do yard bird.
Last edited by Former Member

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.