Skip to main content

Haven't been around the forum for a while... I guess the Cookshack and I have been getting along so well for the last couple of years that I have settled into a smokin' groove - mostly briskets, shoulders, and ribs, all world-class (he said modestly), thanks to the CS.

Now I'm thinking of trying to bite off a BIG one and feed 100 adults from my little smokette. I figure I'll need about 3 briskets, 6 shoulders, and 6 chickens. I think I can smoke it in three loads, over three days. I haven't had to "hold" or reheat smoked meat in the past, since it was pretty much gone at the end of the day. The party is in the evening, so I thought I'd smoke the the chickens the first day, shoulders the next, and briskets the last day, since they have a tendency to dry out a little over time.

Questions:
Are my quantities right?
Is that cooking order OK, or have I missed something?
Can I squeeze all of that in three loads? Any tips?
How do I cool and reheat the first two days' meat at the last minute without drying it out?
Am I nuts?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

for me, I don't like having to reheat chichen, so here's what I'd do.

shoulders first. when done, pull, sauce with a nice vinegar and crushed red pepper sauce, place into foil tray and fridge. make extra rub for use later.

briskets overnight so they get done the morning of the party. Figure out when to start em so that they should be finished with plenty of time to do the chicken right before the party. here's the good part: if the briskets get done as planned, remove and foil and hit the cooler for several hours. If they are not done when you need em, pull em out and foil and into the oven at 250 or whatever to get em done in time.

Then the chicks last, ready to eat fresh.

So pork is all you need to reheat. 6 butts oughtta do about 3 half trays. throw em from the fridge to oven at about 250 for 2 hrs (covered). Open and hit it with that extra rub, maybe a little more vinegar sauce as needed.

eat Big Grin
Yep,I like woodburners's approach.

I'd even consider cooking the briskets ahead of time.

You can still foil, whole, and reheat in the oven.

Pull and slice one at a time,as you need them.

Warm them the same time as the half pans of pork.

100 folks walking around will be tiring and create enough projects on their own.

Three # 11 lb briskets will be a pretty full load for the smokette and yield you 16 pounds of meat or about 50 1/3 lb servings.

Six- 6 lb butts will be about 17-18 lbs of pork,or another 55 1/3 lb servings.

Six small fryers give you 24 qrtrs.

Have fun.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.