Skip to main content

Hi everyone,

I've got a few questions.. I purchused a FEC100 for personal family get togethers etc and used it pretty extensively before going out of town on business for 3 months or so. Now that I'm getting settled back in I've opened my cooker to find some rusty grates with what appears to be slight mold.

I'm wondering what everyone's recommendations are, should I order new grates? and anything else I need to do to get the cooker prepared to cook again? I dont see any mold or anything anywhere else, just some darking around the metal racks that fit inside the cooker.

Just looking for some advise on the best way to get it back in service.

Thanks
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

NO CLEANING SOLVENT!!!!! There was one poster here on the forum who used lemon juice to clean the sides inside the FE and then just a spritz cleaning with water.

Me, I just scrape the sides down and vacumm it out. On the grates, I soak those in a plastic concrete mixing trough with hot water, then scrub with a brush and rinse.

Works for me.
I take all the removable parts out and soak them in a tub (I use a concrete mixing tub) and add a little biodegradable cleaner. 24 hours and the gunk just rubs off.

FF is right, crank the heat up (before or after cleaning) and it will crystalize a lot of the gunk.

NEVER use any cleaner that you wouldn't want to get on our food.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.