Skip to main content

Hi all. Extreme newbie here. I'm looking to replace my cheap water smoker. Can't really control the temp and can't use it in the winter as it won't get hot enough. My head is spinning from looking at so many models. So, I'm looking at the SM025. Plus I like the fact it's made in the USA. Do you need to use a water pan in this smoker? I see some come with them and some don't. I saw a video where Cookshack recommends lining the bottom with foil. Is this model hard to clean? And sorry for the dumb questions. I know nothing about an electric smoker. Thanks for any and all reply’s.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Welcome to the Forum. Yep, what he said. Foil the top of the smokebox and bottom of the smoker for easier cleanup. I usually leave mine on for about 3-4 smokes before changing the foil. Grab a soapy rag and wipe down what has been covered with foil. 5-10 minutes tops, racks I throw in the dishwasher every now and then.

They are moist enough inside that no water pan is needed. I've smoked when it was -20 and had things come out just as good as if it were summer.

You won't be disappointed, and it'll last a lifetime
Welcome to the CS forum!

I agree with the other fine cooks, it just ain't gonna get any easier them smoking in a CS. You said something about your CHEAP smoker...did ya know that a CS can smoke a brisket and/or a PB all night on just about 50 cents or so of electricity?

Yes, it is made right there in Ponca City,OK, USA. They are a bunch of fine folks that believe in treating cooks the right way.They are willing to give you an unconditional refund if you want to return your smoker in the 1st 30 days.

Oh, if you need to search for any knowledge/recipes you can use the find button in the top left corner or just ask anyone around here...lots of good folks on the forum that don't mind sharing.
Tim...this may sound like a sarcastic answer...but it's not.
I was in your same situation...pulled the trigger and bought the SM25. I regret the purchase.
I literally have so many people asking me to smoke stuff that I wish I had bought one of the bigger models. It's just that good. Really.
Welcome to the forum Tim

I think you’ll be very happy with a SM25
These smokers are easy to use, easy to clean, American made, well built, and smoke as well at -20* as they do at 95*.

You’ll find yourself using it more than you used your cheap water smoker. As Supercenter Chef said you’ll have so many “friends” you’ll be wanting the next size, then the next size, and on and on

Depending on where I am and what I'm doing I store mine in my garage, on my deck at the cabin, or in the back of my pick up.
Well, I just ordered SM025. Company says it will take a week or two to ship, so it's probably coming from the factory. It's just my wife and me. That water smoker was a pain to use. Especially if all I wanted was a small hunk-o-meat or just one chicken. She ended up finishing a lot of things in the oven because I couldn't it get up to temp on cool or windy days. I actually haven't used it in months. But I miss that taste. If this thing is as easy to use as everyone says, I'll be smoking a LOT more meat. Might even try veggies now. Thanks for all the info.
Welcome to the forum. I have been through a few charcoal smokers. I was in the same boat as you. I hated the winter for smoking and it was a pain to not only clean up, but to keep constant temperatures. I even had the guru with the fan to help but it just got old. I finally settled on the SM25 and have not looked back. The only thing I lack is the true smoke ring but I don't really care. My products for the most part are better then ever.

The wife and I ride motorcycles and found that during the nice weather, we never smoked on the old smoker. After the sm25....we smoke a ton. I went and bought this wirelss thermometer.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IMA718

I then bought a 15dollar webcam and I aim at the wireless meat thermometer and see it on my laptop. I use a program called www.join.me and it broadcast's my desktop. Using their app for android phones, i can monitor my meat temps at any time I choose. A couple weeks ago, I set 2 pork butts in and waited until the smoker was going for a couple hours. We went off on a 150 mile bike ride. I checked the meat temp from the top of one of our mountains and knew I was still 4 hours out. Nice piece of mind knowing the smoker is dead on the money and I don't have to babysit.
As long as the brisket's in cry-o-vac (thick airtight plastic) it will keep in the fridge for 2-3 weeks. In fact, it get's better flavor, more tender from the wet aging. Most supermarket/food club meat is less than 14 days from slaughter.

Many comp cooks like brisket aging for 45-55 days. This doesn't work for pork or chicken though.
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Comer:
That is neat. Wife has already bought a brisket and has it in the freezer right now. I told her I probably need to wreck a few chickens first to get the hang of this thing.

Chicken will cook very fast in a CS. Don't turn your back on it. It may only take a couple of hours.

I have never not eaten anything I made in my SM025(some stuff was better than others, but it all was edible).

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.