Skip to main content

I just got a Nu-temp 701 remote thermometer. This is the first time I have used it to monitor a low/slow cook. I am using it along with my Polder to monitor a small (4#)boneless Boston butt that I am cooking up for dinner. I have not seen much on this forum comparing a remote to a Polder, so thought I might post this experience.

So far, the two thermometers have been within 2-5 degrees of each other, keeping in mind that the probes are stuck in different places in my butt.

This is the first boneless butt I have done in the Smokette. My wife picked up the meat at a local Publix yesterday. It had a label that it was a new type of all natural pork that they are selling?

As I sit typing this in the loft of my little townhouse, the remote sensor is reading 162 and when last I went downstairs, the Polder was at 165- so I think I am in the plateau phase of this cook at 5 hours so far. I need to get a handle on the reliability of the Nu-Temp vs the Polder which I am used to using. It does not seem like it has a problem sensing the temp changes up here. Now, it's a matter of building trust in the new gadget.

My plan is to take it out of the CS when the Polder temp reaches about 195 degrees and let it sit foiled in a cooler until pulling time.

Sure smells good. Cool
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Andi- I knew you or someone would notice my reference to the butt probes. At any rate, we just finished eating the product, and it was really tasty and nice.

The comparison with the remote and direct thermometer probes showed about a 7 degree difference at the end of the cook- with the Polder showing the higher temp. I took the butt out at about 189 degrees and let it sit for 10 minutes before pulling it. All's I can say is it was delicious- yummmy.

The remote thermometer would have made me leave it in the cooker for another 10 minutes or so, but I think it would have been fine- juicy and tasty.

I did not get any pictures of this effort. You still have to follow Smokins rule that it aint done until it's done!

These gadgets are helpers, and the remote can let you sit upstairs while the stuff is cooking- but, it is up to the pit boss to decide when it is really done.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.