Skip to main content

I am in the process of buying a new smoker. Been looking at the cookshack models. What is the difference in taste and appearance between the all electric cookshacks and fec 100. Do you get good bark on the product or does it taste steamed? Do you get a smokering with either one. Alot of people tell me you can tell when something has been cooked in a cookshack. Also looking at traeger and backwoods, but like the idea of set and forget it. The fec 100 looks good, but kind of pricey. Any thoughts on the quality of the meat on a cookshack versus, charcol and wood like a backwoods smoker?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Greetings BBQTAXDR and welcome to the forum. Let me tell you my experience with the Cookshack.

I started out smoking on a Weber Kettle about 30 years ago. That was back when Weber had not yet invented the side rails so I made some out of sheet aluminum and they worked fine. From there I graduated up to an el-cheapo Brinkmann. From there up to an offset. I've smoked with charcoal, I've smoked with logs. I've used hickory, red oak, white oak, cherry and apple. I finally got tired of all the work involved with the offset, sold it and bought a Cookshack. The product I'm turning out from that little cooker is better than anything I've ever done with any of the other cookers and the amount of work is practically non existent.

No, the meat does not taste steamed but it is more tender and juicy. No there is no smoke ring but who cares. Smoke ring has no flavor it's only cosmetic and smoke ring is just a reaction to the nitrites in the smoking medium. Yes, there is bark. Not the thick crunchy kind you get from an offset. It's thinner but more flavorful. And, if you've ever frozen BBQ you know that no matter how crunchy your bark was when it went in, it'll be mushy when it comes out.

I'm extremely happy with the Cookshack and wouldn't have any of the other models you mentioned because they all involve more work and I now know that it would be hard for them turn out a product as good as what I can get from the CS.

So, there's my two bits worth. Hope it helped.

EZ
Last edited by taktez
Hi, BBQTAXDR,
We have the SM150 and the FEC100 both. They both do great for what they are designed for. I was really attrated to the SM because it was easy to operate, turned out a consistent, moist product, but the FE is better for faster cooking. You get a good bark on both, but not a thick burned bark. Jack gets a smokering using both models, but I think that's just an appearance thing, it doesn't seem to affect the taste whether we get a smokering or not. I like the FE for the higher heat setting. It's good for chicken and we cook biscuits in it too. Put the biscuits in, followed by the chicken. I think you can get used to using either with great results, just play around with them.
We have had to replace the auger pin in our FE, but the people at customer service talked us right through the whole process.
I love both smokers.
Peggy
hi and welcome!!!
the secret to a smoke ring on an electric is pretty ez. dead cold meat into dead cold smoker. works every time.
the biggest thing about the fec is the higher heat temps but to be honest our two sm150's are the work horses (and when i needed more capacity i got another sm150. enuff said there) don't get me wrong i like the fec alot but if i was required to only have one smoker it would be the sm150 and that is quite a change from my opinion one year ago.
if smoke ring is way high up on your priorities just give the meat a rub with mortons tenderquick let set 30 or so mins and rinse it off. big smoke ring there!!! by the way most sanctioning bodies do not even have a smoke ring requirement anymore.
if you are competing then you are locked into the fec or backwoods or take a look at stumps.
hope it helps some and it about gutted me giving you the old comp cheating trick with the mortons but so be it.
jack
ok!!!!!
at no time have i ever used mortons tenderquick for a smokering or even flavoring in either my fec or anyone of our two sm150's. it just isn't neccessary as both units produce beautiful smoke rings.
i guess i just got carried away when i saw the words "can't get a smoke ring". but please note that i did ,do and forever will feel that it's use (or even onsite possesion of tenderquick or any similar product) should be grounds for an instant disqualification at any contest.
i feel much better now
and washed my mouth out as ordered Razzer
jack
bbqtaxdr,

What is the intended use of the smoker?

Backyard cooking for friends and family?
Competition cooking?
Catering?
Restaurant?

How much capacity do you want?

Want to smoke a chicken for dinner every couple of weeks?
Want to turn out killer pork butts to impress the boss?
Maybe you need to produce 600 lbs. of turkey breasts per week?

Telling us how you intend to use the smoker will help us narrow down what you need.

Donna
I will use it most for backyard bbq for like 15-20 people and maybe I'd like to do some competition bbq, but I do like a nice bark and smoke-ring, I know it has no taste, but I like the look of it. Also want to know how a traeger compares to cookshack. I like the idea of pellets.
quote:
Originally posted by bbqtaxdr:
Also want to know how a traeger compares to cookshack. I like the idea of pellets.

Don't think many in the forum have a traeger. You might search on that word, as someone asked about them in the last two weeks and I think they pointed to a Traeger forum.

A pellet (which CS uses in the FE) and the Traeger are actually different cookers, using the same pellets (even the same controller until CS came out with the new IQ3). The majority of what Traeger sells are grills that you can use for smoking. The CS FE's are smokers that use pellets. Slight distinction but there is a difference basically in how the smoker is constructed. The grills work well for smoking and pellet cooking is easier than any offset as you don't have to tend the fire.

It's a different heat (more dry heat like a log burner) than the CS Electric which is more a moist heat (the unit is sealed and insulated very well)

There is absolutely no way to "explain" the difference easily, the best is to try to find one and taste the difference. You're really comparing apples to oranges to limes. Very few people have all of those or have even cooked on all of those.

Also, FYI, CS has a 100% money back 30 day guarantee.

The comments in this forum will tell you that the CS (either the electric or FE) are exceptional and provide consistent Q.
Smokin' mentioned our 30-day money back guarantee. People who are undecided sometimes purchase with the intention of sending it back if they don't like it. To my knowledge we have never had one come back. Oh, wait, one guy from Indiana send his back because he decided he didn't like smoked food at all in any form. You can't win 'em all!

I have talked to a couple of people at trade shows who stopped by when they saw our exhibit to complain that they don't like their Cookshack. In each case, when I questioned them about what they didn't like, the response was "well, I cooked in it once but I didn't like the food." They had not read the instructions, looked at the cookbook, visited the forum, called customer service or anything. Just shoved a hunk of meat in the smoker with some wood and let 'er rip. Good grief. Even something as simple to operate as a Cookshack or FEC requires a little information. I got them hooked up with some resources, and as far as I know they are all happily smoking away.

Since the consensus seems to be that all the smokers you are considering will do a good job, my next recommendation is that you consider who you are buying it from because you will probably have a relationship with that company, at least for a while after you make your purchase, if not longer. Now I am going to make a little pitch for Cookshack:

My dad started making smokers about 45 years ago, and we have always operated with the philosophy that we are helping people solve problems while making a fair profit. Cookshack has steadily grown from a backyard operation to what we are today. We have a crew of dedicated people and we continue to do our best to make good quality products. We are very customer service focused. In addition to improving our products based on what people want (the AmeriQue is a great example of this), we have cooking classes, this forum, well-trained support people, a monthly newsletter, we have published 3 cookbooks, and we are always available to help our customers. I am one of the owners, and my cell phone number is 405.361.2196. You can call me any time except in the middle of the night (I need my beauty sleep, LOL). I am semi-retired and I have a life besides work, but I am always glad to talk to a customer because you are that important to us. And we have the aforementioned money back guarantee. This is not just a bunch of sales hype, we put our money where our mouth is. Ask anyone here.

Well! I have never done that before -- thrown out a big Cookshack sales pitch on the forum, that is. So there. Smiler

Any questions?

Donna
Where are you and the cooker going to be located?

Wind,rain,temps,and availability of fuel could all be an issue.

What is your cooking background?

Who all is going to be using it?

The Backwoods are fine cookers,but would have the longest learning curve and require the most attention, during long cooks that build bark and smokerings.

There are several folks out there that have copied them.

The traditional CS would have the shortest curve.

As to your concern about the quality of the product.

Our team cooks on FEC s and we have cooked on customized Traegars[built as copies of FEC s].

It would be unusual to see competitive teams using traditional Traegars,although not unheard of.

I also have traditional Cookshacks for home use and would be thrilled to cook with them in comps.
Smokin, is right on. Traegers residential units are basically grills that do use pellets instead of gas, or charcoal. They also make big steel commercial units, some of which I would consider grills, others smokers. None of which have any insulation compared to what you get with CS. If I had a fancy restaurant that required a grill to finish off in some way (looks primarily) I would consider their commercial units and use it as such. But that would relate also to marketing, that there is no gas after taste, which personally have never noticed on anything I have known was cooked on gas. But some people swear its there. Wink
Hello BBQTAXDR,

I think I am a lot like you, considering the Cookshack FEC100, but also have interest in the Traeger, or others.

I must admit that though I like the smoke flavor, I also like the convention BBQ with a lid that you can through a steak onto now and then. I do realize that the are more or less different machines, but I am trying to find the best out of both worlds.

We throw quite a few parties, and often for 10-20 people.

I am really torn on this. I must admit that originally I bought an American Grill that is a lot like the Traeger, but has a much better computer system. That said, I ran into problems with it and learned that the company has fallen on hard time, so decided to return.

All that said, I am now trying to find the best possible BBQ/smoker that can cover as many different applications as possible.

If you could share you experience, or other grills you have been looking at, I would be interested.
Not sure if TAXDR is still around, this post is from about 3 or 4 years ago... LOL

I've asked CS to put the dates in the threads, it would be helpful sometimes.

It's really a tough decision. Price matters, company matters, how much work is involved, etc... there are SO many choices.

I know this, I wouldn't compare a traeger to a CS. Why? Because of construction mainly. The FE, with the 800degree insulation really is head and shoulders above a traeger.

Now that being said, there are times when I want to grill and even a traeger grill can't get hot enough. Steaks just need a good, hot temp, 600+ to really sear. Only traegers or FE's that get that hot are on FIRE... Big Grin

If it will help, tell me what you're trying to do:

What kinds of meats?
Grilling or Smoking?
How much do you want to tend it?

Any other questions you have about others, just ask. We really try to support questions for lots of smokers, but a lot of people here are pretty biased. Go to ANY forum that's for a particular type (egg, bradley, BWS, etc) they'll all recommend their smoker. That's what makes it tough. All owners seem to be pretty loyal.

Like you said, make sure to check out the company behind it. Not many companies have the company owners/president in the forum on a routine basis (Donna and Stuart).
Thanks so much for the candid response. I do realize that as people go, they usually stick next to the one they purchased, as I am sure I will be doing once purchased.

That said, I can make arguments for both side, and rather then starting a fight with myself, I decided to seek out some other opinions.

You ask some questions of me, so let me see if this will help at all.

The main purpose is back yard grilling (for 10-20 people). Understanding there is a difference between grilling and smoking, if you don't mind I will just refer to it as BBQ because if it is at all possible, I would like to do both. I love anything smoked (ribs, chicken, tri-tip), which most meats render themselves well to, but yet on the other hand sometime I would like to throw a steak on the BBQ. So as you kind see, I really don't have a specific purpose in mind, and I am trying to find the best of both worlds.

I must say, that the thing I like about the Traeger is the conventional BBQ setup that allows one to cook a steak (though maybe a lower tempatures), but yet can smoke most anything else.

On the other hand, the FE is better insulated and has a much better computer system, allow for more options and better control, but as I see it, not an option for a steak.

In regards to price, this is not as much of an issue as trying to find the perfect BBQ.

One last thing, I read on another forum that Fast Eddie was coming out with a two zones. One that goes to 6-700 degrees and another that is more like the regular smoker/grills.

Are you aware of this, or have any idea when this will be introduced to the public?

Okay, by now I probably have confused you as much as myself, but if by chance you can see through all the smoke... perhaps you can give me your opinion.

Thanks,
Greg
Personally I just don't think there is an all in one BBQ/Grill that I could be truly satisfied with.

The Traegers can cover grilling to an extent, but I'm just not happy with high temp stuff(steaks in particular) on those kinds of units. Mighty fine chicken, but I like my steaks Pittsburgh or black and blue if ya will. Just not happening at 400ish.

I am waiting for Eddie to show off his dual purpose grill. That looks like the best shot in theory for all in one bliss.

In my opinion, if cash isn't a sticking point the the Fec100 and a Weber charcoal grill or the like is the best and most versatile option.
The FE will see you well for 90% of what you list. Temps up to 400 easily, over that get a grill.

Be like the rest of us, get the FE and then another unit to handle the hot items. Gas grill, charcoal grill, TEC (if you want real hot) lots of options.

No one best option. Me, I do a lot of cooking in the FE and for parties it's great. Less muss and fuss. But still love to grill.

That help?
We actually have 2 Traegers and an FEC100. We like the Traegers but love the FEC100. As mentioned before the FEC is well insulated. I'll burn half the pellets in the FEC for a 12 hour cook than I will in a lil Tex and get 5 times the product. It's much easier to maintain a consistent temperature in the FEC than the Traegers (even with the digital controls). We get great smoke rings in both units. We frequently have family get together of 25 to 40 folks and the FEC can handle the load. Even with the 2 Traegers we would struggle. If money is not the issue I would recommend the fec100. If it is look at the Traeger Elite. It just seems put together so much better than the lil tex - but you can get good BBQ out of any of the 3.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.