Skip to main content

I assist a competition BBQ team (Que'n, Stew'n & Brew'n) using a Jack's Old South cooker. I attended Myron's class and we were taught a power cooking time line based on 350 for brisket and butts and 300 for ribs and chicken.
I bought the FEC-100 to use at home and can't get my timeline adjusted. My butts and brisket took 12-14 hours and were great to eat, but I can't get my ribs right.
Can anyone offer any suggestions, please?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You don't mention what size (weight) for your ribs.

I use my FEC100 at my restaurant and smoke about 21 racks of babybacks per week, average weight 2.75 lbs. at 275 for 3.5 - 4 hrs. They're always right on the money. Mind you, I don't foil them or use any competition techniques...just spritz with apple juice every half hour after the 1st hour. They come out on the money every time. Fast Eddy put me on to that time/temp approach and he nailed it dead on.

At the 3.5 hr mark I use the toothpick test to test doneness and reel them in between 3.5 - 4 hrs.

I'd be interested to know your opinion on Myron's 350 brisket approach. Not naming names but I've been told that Myron's brisket has a "pot roast" flavor. I'd also wouldn't mind your opinion on his 350 pork butt power cooking technique. Seems way too high but I've never cooked pork butts at 350. I guess getting good bark isn't an issue. Smiler We're they moist?
Thanks for the info.
You are correct about the JOS cookers. They use a lot of water. The butts and briskets are always moist. We inject both and pan them as part of the time line.
Everyone has bragged on the brisket. I had plenty of burgers and dogs left on labor day, but all of the brisket was gone. It was so tender it fell apart. Not good for competition, but great for eating!
We use Snake River Wagyu brisket for competition. Mine was Walmart Supercenter.
quote:
Originally posted by RibDog:
Max,

What Tom means is that Myron's smoker uses a LOT of water in the smoker and almost turns into one big steamer. When Myron opens the doors on the smoker, the steam just comes billowing out.

Ok, I get the drift now. So in a sense he's braising/smoking, which would explain the "pot roast" flavor I was told about. I suppose it's not all that different than foiling a brisket (or a PB). By the same token I'm tempted to think..."at which point does BBQ stop being BBQ?" Granted, the stick burners made the same argument when pellet smokers came upon the competition scene.

Speaking only for myself, this year I've smoked many a brisket using injections and foiling techniques. Yeah...it usually produces a fine end result but somehow I always feel that I've somehow cheated the process. Beyond that, I've come to prefer the flavor of a good quality brisket, seasoned with salt & pepper and smoked start to finish....no injections...no rubs...no foiling. A great tasting brisket or (add meat here______) is a reason to pat yourself on the back and be proud.
That may be true, Max, but when you are forking out the cash for comps, I have no problem walking up to the stage after having used foil. As long as what we do is legal per the rules, then each team is there to do one thing and that is to win.

And please understand that there is noting wrong with cooking however you like at home. In fact, I would hope you would. But if you don't win enough money at the comps, you may not be around very long unless you have real deep pockets.
RD....As pitmaster for MaxQue (western division) Smiler I will testify that Maxy has no prob using foil in competitions. At least the ones he's flown down here and helped me on. Knowing him as well as I do.....combined with several calls a week, my money is going on the fact that Maxy is bragging on the ease of cooking with the fec100 without using xtras.

my $0.02

Coach
Yep,we tend to get these threads crossed over about how we may be "prostitutes" to the judges,but eat different around the house. Big Grin

We tend to get some newer cooks, cooking one /first brisket-or slab, and wanting that last 1/100th of a point from a comp table.

You'll see I like to post "what would the cook do,if he was feeding 100 hungry diners out at the picnic grounds".

Not many would do all the "tricks/stunts" we are askng about doing on one 20 oz slab of loinbacks, if they had four-five cases to cook,hold,and serve. Smiler
Also Max,when Myron came out of the MIM comps,that are an all pork cookoff and started having to cook briskets at all the FL BBQ Assoc cooks ,he needed the "speed".

He freely brags about going to wallyworld ,south of Macon/Cordele,buying nine of the largest packers he could find every day,cooking and serving to the busloads of tourists that stopped at his momma's place on I-75.

They weren't going to pay labor to sit around an 18 hr packer everyday. Big Grin

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.