Skip to main content

Ten people of which five are ardent BBQers, smokers and grillers were invited over for late afternoon drinks and appetizers which consisted of rib slabs cooked in the Cookshack. I wanted this to be a test for me, to determine what I needed to do to get the best from the smoker.

Preparations consisted of the following; three whole slabs, each cut in half, dusted with Cookshack Rib Rub which had been doctored with chipotle powder, more cumin and a little brown sugar and dusted just before smoking them. I used three chunks of hickory, hung the ribs with the hooks sent with the CS55, set the temp to 225 degrees and set back waiting for 189 degrees on the thermometer probe. I wasn�t concerned about the time, so I didn�t keep the time, just waited for the alarm on the thermometer.

At 189 degrees, removed the ribs, brushed them with a glaze made from vinegar, mustard and brown sugar. The temperature on my instant thermometer raised to 191 degrees. Using a heat proof glove, cut the ribs up into individual pieces , packaged them in three foil packages, set them into the cooler to hold for two hours and got the rest of the party ready. The only other items needed was potato salad, deviled eggs (topped with chipotle powder) and homemade, cooked on a stone, Italian ciabatta bread.

Conclusion of the test. Four of the five BBQers stated they were the best ribs they ever tasted. One of the BBQers said he thought they were a little dry, but still an easy pull from the bones. Roll Eyes I thought the bottom parts of the ribs closest to the fire box were a little dry, but the top ends were fine. Also, they were too dark for my taste, but I blame that on the brown sugar I put into the Cookshack Rib Rub. Of the women present, two thought they were smoked more than they liked but they ate their share of them.

Of the twelve people present, including ourselves, no one fixed dinner at home that night and we served way less drinks than normal - it was a rib eating evening. I guess we are going to start keeping records like the Two Greyhounds - can�t remember between cookings and we want to move on to BBQing 100 - got to get good enough to convince my wife I need the new un-named Cookshack model. Big Grin

smokemullet
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sounds like a fun test.

One question. I'm curious about trying to do ribs by temp. Believe me, I've done enough of them and tested the temp when I pulled them and there is a BIG variation in temp with ribs, compared with my experience on when they're done.

But hey, if someone can make it work on a specific temp and it works, good for you.

I still use the "flex" method.

Smokin'
Yep! Smokin,

Your right. I placed the probe in the ribs close to the middle and was wishing for the best and they came out slightly over cooked. One small bone fell to the bottom of the smoker as I was further checking with a hand thermometer. Next time I will set the temp to 175 and check to see how the meat moves from the bone and eyeball it from there. Also, I will remember to check the start time - just forgot to this time.

smokemullet
You saw that upside down flex test on TV didn't you? I saw it.

Basically yes. You do it that way, but I flex it looking at the top of the rack of ribs, not from underneath. As the rack flexes, you see how much it does or doesn't give. Look at the meat as you flex it and see how it responses.

Do this in a couple of cooks and you'll see the how it happens and what to look for.
mullet,
1st off congrats!!!! it sounds like a great time was had by all!!!!
after reading how long you had them crutched up i think you are on the right track with pulling them at 175 and wrapping.
but i got one tiny question. are you using a thermo-pen with the really skinny probe????
if so I WANT ONE LOL!!!!!!
the record keeping for me is fun but at times it can be a drag. but after the health inspector wanted to know what i was writing down in my log book (it was my every 2 week reefer and freezer 1 hour temp log which i hope will let me know if i have a problem before it becomes one) and looked back over a 6 month period we passed ok. so i guess i will keep writing in the ole log book.
again congrats!!!!!!!!
jack
Jack,

I use a Polder alarm model for the inside and the hand held thermometer is a Taylor model 9847 which has a clip and is water resistant - Taylor says it is water proof, but their ain't no such animal. I have a divers watch rated at 300 meters (1000) feet and they only engrave "resistant" on it. Tell me more about the thermo-pen.

smokemullet
Hey Smokin',

Since there seems to be an interest in rib temps,you probably don't have much else on your plate,and you like studies,here is a project .

I'll let you figure out whether it would present best,graphically or numerically.

If graphically ,full color would be helpful.

I suppose you would need two different charts for temps for MIM[pull easily off the bone] and KCBS[bite cleanly off the bone].

You can take the accompanying list of swine breeds

Swine Breeds

and then match them across the grading categories for age/gender and size.

Pork Grading Terms
Pork grading involves two basic factors. Size of animal and gender of animal. Some of the terms that are used are:

Butcher Hog
An animal, male or female, that is raised strictly for meat. Weight range 195 lbs. to 320 lbs.
Barrow
Male butcher hog
Gilt
Female butcher hog
Sow
Female breeding hog. Weight range from 300 lbs. to 700 lbs.
Stag
A castrated male hog. Darker meat, weights to 700 lbs.
Boar
An uncastrated male used for breeding purposes. Darker meat, weights to 1,000 lbs.

Since we periodically discuss cooking wild boar and ferral pigs ,you could add each of these categories in,how many generations they had been wild,and by food groups they live on.

Then you could do a curve for different cooker/tender/render temps and

a curve for nonfoiled or foiled/braised.

Then a curve for loinbacks,trimmed,and non trimmed spares.

I know you weigh ribs,so this next curve could be in 1/4 lb increments.

We can assume up to 13 bone ,full slabs,so you could chart the variation between each bone,small to large end.

These are just quick thoughts and you could probably think of a few other variables.

Think how much fun this will be for the cooks up north to study ,during their annual cold weather cabin fever bouts.

Much more fun than just bending a rack,or twisting a bone. Wink

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.