Skip to main content

Hi all,

The last few times I've tried it the temp usually gets to hot and the cheese can start to sweat if you are not paying attention.
I have the heat shield and used the tin with ice. Just that I havent had much luck and given up on it.

now to my question!

I've just discovered this guy here....

http://www.amazenproducts.com/...sp?ProductCode=AMNTS

just wondering if any other SM025 owners have tried this before. it uses pellets that you just light the end of it with a torch and smoke.

I think with this and baffle (ice if needed) should keep the temp down really low with this setup.

i tried searching and they've been brought up before, just couldnt find anything on what i wanna use it for. Anyways im in for one, i'll give a little review if not done yet.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Todd at AM-AZ-En products makes some fine smoke generators and every serious smoker should look at what he offers.

To put it simply though, if you intend to smoke cheese, you should consider an external firebox and pipe the smoke to an product chamber of your choice, whether it be your smoker or a cardboard box.

Tom
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.T:
Todd at AM-AZ-En products makes some fine smoke generators and every serious smoker should look at what he offers.

To put it simply though, if you intend to smoke cheese, you should consider an external firebox and pipe the smoke to an product chamber of your choice, whether it be your smoker or a cardboard box.

Tom

Yeah I know, that's the ideal and I've been meaning to convert a old Bradley to a cold smoker. but if this doesn't work (gets to warm) it will still be great for sausage and jerky, keeping wood lit at those low temps is difficult even with chips. Although I have never tried pellets in the box... I just thought of doing that.

Anyways I super excited to cold smoke again, it will probably be below zero outside so that may or may not help
I have the amazentube and have used it in my SM025. Because the SM025 unit is small you will get some heat from the burning pellets. You should either use an ice shield or some aluminum foil around the bottom rack. It's just enough heat that I melted two small blocks of cheese. The rest of the cheese was perfect. Which tells me you just need a little protection over the heat source. In this case the tube.

I have smoked using the SMO25 unit turned on and the tube. The tube method blows everything else I have tried out of the water.

I now cold smoke my cheese in the PG500. This is perfect because the tube goes in the wood burning chamber and the cheese is completely offset....If you have a gaser you should try your tube in there with some cheese. I bet it would work perfectly.
I just received my A-Maze-N tube yesterday and tried it out in my 45 with an ice pan and a baffle of aluminum foil on the bottom shelf. I was amazed by the amount of smoke that was produced and the small amount of heat generated. I did see the temperatures rise as the ice melted but it never got above 77 degrees in the 45. Once done, the cheese looked fantastic and smelled so smokey. Vac Pac and will let it mellow for a couple of weeks before enjoying.

Okay folks, here what I've found out.

For the tube (i bought the 12"), a fantastic quality product, holding it you feel like you could use for self defense. I also got some of their pellets not bad as well. This is actually my first time using them, I know why they are so popular super clean.

The temperature outside is -1F, yet that little tube burning got the smokette to almost 70 degrees (69) after 2hours. I think that's just shows how well these lil things are made. coldest I've used it was 20 below to cook a brisket...

the smell is amazing, some light condensate on it but not oil. success.

But i don't think its up for a good cold smoke in summer time, even with ice that little tube will bring temp up fast imo. But, it will do great i believe for cooking sausage and jerky when you need 140degrees to 180, it hard to keep chips lit. And, I'll most likely use it every time i make sausage or jerkey.

I'll either have to only cold smoke in the winter, or make (like ive been wanting to) a dedicated cold smoker.

thanks all for your help, i'll try it again in the summer with ice to see what the temp is like....
At that temp you have really low margin of error. Just monitor your internal temp. If it gets to 90+ your going to change the consistency of the cheese. Especially the soft cheeses like Mozzarella. You might try sticking the cheese in the freezer for 20 minutes just to get a nice chill on them. If it were me I would skip the soft cheeses and stick with the hard cheeses in that temp. Let us know how it goes.

Don't forget to try string cheese. One of our favorites, and you only need an hour in the smoker.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.