Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well now,that depends on how you want to do it,and how you want it to appear.

Chefs will typically select about 12-14 lb birds,because they cook evenly,and well.

It is diffiult to cook large birds,even in a commercial oven.

I had a Smokette,008,which is the shorter version of the 55.

I used to smoke anything,and always tried to exceed the limits on size and weight. Roll Eyes

If someone is dumb enough to want to prove it can be done,it can be forced to waller around about 25 lbs +/-.

Don't ask how I know. Eeker

If you read the Turkey 101,it should guide you that you can section up a large bird.

The backbone,wingtips,etc can go to your stockpot.

The leg qrtrs[dark meat] can go in earlier than the breast,and add the breast later-to pull both at the same time.

If you wish to present whole at the table,you might get a pair of 12 pounders?

Hope this helps a little.
I was hoping someone with a 55 would answer, I don't know how big for just one, it's really a function of shape.

It's a "it depends" questions. the 55 has 5 racks, and you might be able to fit three (take out racks 2 & 4). The "might" is because of the size of the turkeys and how vertical they are. If they are too big, then you have a problem with the top of the turkey hitting the rack above it
Last edited by Former Member
Your question was: what is the biggest turkey you can smoke in a 055...?

I cooked at 22 lb turkey at Thanksgiving and never even thought about whether it would fit. I would guess a 30 lb would fit too, but I've never seen one that big in local store.

So for one turkey, just about any reasonable size.

I cooked mine for about 4 hours (145 temp) and then took it out and turned it over to the wife for stuffing and putting it in the oven for the last hour. Worked fine. Do brine it though. Makes all the difference in the world.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.