Skip to main content

We always said the SM was going to be our workhorse. After reviewing threads it seems that bone in butts take about 1 to 1 1/2 hours per pound at 225f.
What has your real experience been???
Reason this question is being asked is we have an order for Sunday delievery on 40 pounds of pulled pork and at a sale price of $6.00 per pound I ain't about to mess this one up!!!
Oh and to make it better I have to do it alone as Peggy can't be there when I start it up!!! I have studied the manual though so I am manually setting cook temp to 225f and time to 12 hours as that seems to be the average time. Also I am taking Zeb's advice to replenish the wood in 4 hour intervals. Wood being used is hickory with 3 ounces being the load quantity.
Personally I would feel more comfortable using my FEC but it is time I learned how to use the SM150.
Thanks for any real world advice you can give Big Grin
jack
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

PC313,
Only reload once. One can over smoke with Hickory and the comments I have made apply to me and the wood(s) I use. Reloading may not be necessary for you and your needs. I don't think one reload will hurt anything, though. Just when you reload, only load the box halfway seeing how this is your first shot at it. I reccomend that you cook them 14 hours at 220 and let them hold for a couple of hours after that to let them drain a little. That way one doesn't get as greasy of a meat. This is what I do and my butts average 6-8 lbs.

Good luck!
Zeb

P.S. Check your pricing on the meat. You have to make money. Pork averages 7.99-9.99 per lb. around here. And people pay it all day long. I charge 9.99/lb, cheaper if they order quantity(8.99/lb). Check what others are charging in the area and don't be afraid to be competitive.
I have never had a Boston Butt reach an internal temp of 195-200 in less than 2-2.5 hours per pound at a cooking temp of 225. Others run 1-1.5 hours per pound, as you know every smoker and piece of meat is different. I wrap in foil and put in a cooler for a couple of hours to let them set up before pulling. When pulling be liberal with Smokin's basting sauce. I don't about adding more wood, I'm afraid that might overdue it. You're better off wishing you had a little more smoke than wishing you did not have so much. Good luck.

John
Mornin' Jack

You probably already know your pricing,but I included our team mate's cater site .

He has been doing this for awhile ,near you,in Deland/Orlando.

Menu Prices

We also cook on a 160 and 1.5 hrs /lb should be fine.

You already know the heat /holding tricks and bumping them to 250� during the cook won't hurt.

It cooks pretty moist and if we are going to hold awhile,we pull them out about 195�.

I use more hickory than you are starting with and usually add a couple chunks after about 8 hrs.

Sounds like you are cooking around 80 lbs and the temps should get real stable after a couple hrs.

Have fun and maybe see ya at Clermont.
Jack,

Since your question is about the 150, and a smokette or a 50, thought I'd take a shot.

In my one 150(s), I cook them at 250 and they never take more than 1.25 hours per pound. Now, lower takes a little longer, but even at 225, it was no more than 1.5 hours.

I start them so you have enough time left over, especially if it's just you, so you can do everything.

The 150 has a HOLD feature you need to learn about. Figure out how much time you need, give yourself some room.

You can easily have them done for say 4 hours before. If they're not done, just crank up the temp. If they're done, put it on hold.

As for adding more wood. I know Zeb is working that in the 200 series, but I don't like to oversmoke, so I only load the 150 one and let it go.

Russ
zeb, lj, tom and okie,
thanks for the info guys!!!!
i will still use 3 oz of hickory with a reload of 2 oz about 10 hours into the cook.
funny thing about the pricing is that since this is a promo for 3 different groups of people we gave around a 30% one time discount.
again thanks for all the help
jack
Jack,

I know I sometimes forget without a reminder, so I haven't seen the internal meat temp thread. It's got to get to that internal temp of 190 so the collogens break down to pull properly. More than that is gravey, or sauce for the beans. Give yourself the time on the back end and use the hold temp feature once you get there.

Good luck in your adventure.

Jerry
again thanks guys
got called into work early to cover for a guy and going back to work in one hour
getting too old to work 14hour day for anybody but me lol.
i am going to use the same technique that got us peoples choice award at okeechobee 2 weeks ago for pork.
at 10 hours i am going to crutch up when i do the 2 oz wood reload.
at 12 hours i will open the top of the foil and go to 193 internal temp
the hold feature peggy showed me how to set that.
should be fun.
and if my new fec100 gasket set gets here tomorrow i will install that while the butts are cooking
jack
Jack,
Good luck! Stick with what got you the gig in the first place and "test-drive" other things when they are not already paid for.
Best wishes!
Zeb

P.S. I told your wife to PM me. YOu can too, I would love to "hook" you guys up with some stuff and trade phone #'s~ That is much easier than typing~! Check your PM's.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.