Skip to main content

first off i would like to thank zeb,lj,tom,smokinokie and rendezvousq for their help.
i thought i would post my notes in the hopes that it might help other sm owners

equipment
3 taylor remote read thermos. used 1 for picnics, 1 for butts and one as pit temp monitor

load
40 lbs bone in picnics, 10% solution added by packer
40 lbs bone in butts, no additives

7.30am cook temp set to 225f, cook time set to 10hours 15min. 4oz hickory chunks.
8.30am
oven temp= 192f
picnic= 62f
butt=41f
pit probe temp=228
11.30am
oven temp=215
picnic=136
butt=143
pit probe temp= off the scale (actual notes read omg not another fire!!! wait probe might be touching the door or dropped and hitting heat shield. grease drain ok, no fire i hope)
11.50am
opened door probe is in fact touching door. repositioned it about 6" above and over center of heat shield. oven temp dropped to 202 on panel read out and pit probe measured 199f
12.09pm
raised cook temp to 240
reason-pit and control read 180 and 203 respectively
12.32pm
made smoke bomb from one 1.6 oz bbqers delight pecan flavor pellts and one 1.6 oz cherry flavor. poked 6 tiny holes in the foil ball. sorry still gotta have a pellet!!!! thanks candy!!! those bags are the perfect size!!!!
1.15pm
oven temp=217f
pit probe=231f
2.30pm
oven temp=221f
picnic=176f
butt=179f
pit probe=222f
5.00pm
butts 191. took out
5.30pm
picnics 191. took out

12.30am
total yield
43 one pound bags of pulled pork
shrinkage and waste was 46%

cooking time was about 1 hour per pound. okie you were real close on that one!!!!!!!!

at no time did i crutch up which suprised me!!!!!

even though i really love my fec i sure did have a good time with peggy's sm150.

i think where some people are getting a time of 2+ hours per pound if they would maybe drop a remote thermo in to monitor the pit temp it might reduce those times. i knew from past experience i wanted to be near the 250f range and by having my pit probe located 6" above the heat shield i got what, for me, was the info i needed and adjust the control panel accordingly

i know this post is kinda long but i do hope it can help someone

again thanks for all the info to get me pointed in the right direction

jack
ps. opps almost forgot. the bark was great and the smoke was just right!!! thanks zeb for talking me out of a reload of hickory
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

zeb,
i sure had a good time talking to you, also, while i was sweating this one out.
i think if i set the sm to 230f to start and change from 4 ounces of hickory to 4 ounces of oak, keep the pecan and cherry smoke bomb i will get exactly the same product as i get from my fec in 2 hours less time and with no crutching.
i am really beginning to see why they don't allow sm150s in competition now!!!!
but peg was right. the sm will be our workhorse and i sure do respect it now!!!!
jack
I think Jack did a terrific job. I filled all the orders, we had pork left over(already frozen in the 1 lb. bags), got so many compliments that more people are ordering. Time to do this again, soon. I'm filling orders with the bags that are left. I think one of those vacuum bag sealers will be a future investment.
Peggy
Jack,

Thanks for the log, seems as if the 225 degree for the oven doesn't keep the oven above 200 inside most of the time. That has been my experience with my 009 especially, but my 105 seems to be much better, perhaps even on the high side.

But I have been too busy with other things to do much cooking recently. I do have a load of jerky to do today however.

I'm just going to have to get one of them pellet burners but not just for the bombs.

Thanks again

Jerry

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.