Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

First let me say, you 100% can get a SR without TQ. Period.

You just need to adjust the method.

2 hours isn't long enough. I'd experiment with 4, 6 and some even go longer.

What flavor of pellets?

Do you put your rub on THICK? If you do you'll prevent Smoke Penetration

Most / All FE owners get a SR, we just need to know more to help.

quote:
Originally posted by MaxQue:
Shake on a liberal dose covering all surfaces. Let stand 10 minutes. Rinse thoroughly.

Nope, 10 min is too long. I suggest for a first time use, maybe 2 min or 3 max. It REALLY REALLY depends on how fresh the cure is and how much you put on. I've tested them at 2 min and got a 1/2 in SR which looked really weird.

You could also experiment, put some all over, rinse 1/2 off at 2 min and 1/2 off at 4min and compare.
Last edited by Former Member
Not sure how many packers I've used TQ on but several dozen. In the beginning I experimented a LOT with times. I settled on 12 minutes then rinse thouroghly. The SR looks very natural. Yeah, for eatin meat I dont use at all. And sometimes I get a decent SR. Sometimes I dont. Therefore for competition I dont gamble. I use the TQ. Yes, I know judges are not suppose to judge a SR but they are also not suppose to judge lettuce. Whos gonna go without the lettuce (or parsely) ?
I'm very stingy on the amount of TQ I use. I have more time than TQ Smiler

Honestly, a light sprinkle and the 12 minutes give me roughly a 3/8 inch ring. I have gotten distracted, forgotten about time and turned it into a ham....oops.

Been using the new CS pellets. Liking them a LOT. Due to some medical crap, our R & D dept has been rather slow this summer but I am anxious to see what kind of SR the new pellets produce as soon as possible.
The secret to the smoke ring in the FEC 100 is to let your RUBBED Brisket air dry for at least 12 hours before cooking. I apply my rub the day before and air dry on a racked sheet pan in a ice packed cooler for at least 12 hours. I usually put my Brisket in the fec at 8:00pm at 210 and pull at 12:00 noon. I double wrap it for at least 3 hours before slicing it. YUM! I got one going in for Thanksgiving. Can't wait.
TD Tom,

Interesting, haven't heard that theory of SR. Appreciate the ideas.

If you're getting a brisket in 4 hours at 210, then you're doing a small flat. Also make mentioned of what you're cooking and the weight.

Problem though, part of the thread is people doing it for a contest. In a contest, you don't have that long to do it.

Would be interesting next summer to do a side by side test to see if it does any differnt (one dried, one not). Part of what may be happening is the salt in the rub (is there any?) is curing the outside.

Curing the meat is actually what causes the SR.
quote:
Originally posted by Pags:
Tenderquick in the rub? Don't all FE's produce a smoke ring?

Pags, don't get us started, there are plenty of SR threads in the FE forum if you want to get into the messy details.

It's a technique issue more than anything because of how Pellet Smokers work.
Last edited by Former Member

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.