Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Smokin' has built them for his,because he cooks in the mild 30-40 mph breezes in OK.

If you need them to vent to the outside,or out of your cook trailer,then that is another issue.

We cook through the Fl rainy season and high winds and don't use them.

If you can only setup where high winds blow directly into the vent-you could consider it.

Hope this helps a little.
Yeah, had a fire once (only one I've ever had) when 40 to 60 MPH winds blew in the stack and blew the fire into the straight auger.

Another reason why they don't make those anymore.

I like to put a cap over mine, not a whole flue, just to control the wind from blowing directly into the box. No proof, no reason other than I think it helps the airflow if the winds are up. I think it creates too much draw at the opening, and my airflow dynamics from my Air Force days tell me that wind pressure will pull air (you know faster moving air over the wing actually lifts it).

How THAT for theory?

Think about your location, and why you might need it. To answer your question, Not a have to have, more a personal preference
Thanks Tom and Smokin'!
Smokin', are you talking about putting a cap right at the end of the existing flue to the cooker, or do you add flue, run it vertically, and then cap it? And what exactly do you use for a cap? Is it one of those deals like a lot of people use on the "standard" type smoker which keeps the breeze from blowing down into the smoker? I've never examined one closely, but they appear to have four sections - or smoke oulets - at the very top. Thanks again, guys!
I bought the defuser at Home Depot or Lowe's. I had to cut the crimpy end of the pipe off and then it just slide on. The 5 inch pipe or tubing is actually made for heating or AC ducting. Since it's not going to see the high temps that normal chimneys see or having to go through roofs, it works great and is able to take 450 degree cooking.
The defuser is made for gas heater and hot water heater roof vents so the two will be in different parts of the store.
I have not noticed any change in cooking practice with or without the stack and with this type defuser I don't think there is any "draw" action happening, just less ground smoke for my wife to complain about.
I use a duct elbow only. Since they are articulated, you can easily rotate it to any position depending on the direction of the wind and rain. But no matter what you do, wind will cause a draw out of the smoker. Unless, as Smokin' points out, it is directly into the stack which is not good.
My only problem with the cap is we had problems getting the smoke away form the cooker in competition. I had a local sheetmetal shop roll some 14 gauge carbon steel and fabricated a smokestack, that along with a can of high heat spray paint. could not tell the difference in flavor personal preferance. Total cost $20.00

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.