I tried smoking beans tonight to go with the bangers I was grilling. Thought I'd do a slow smoke and see how the beans would turn out. Poured two cans of already baked beans into a deep pie pan, some brown sugar, a little garlic. Set the smoker to 200*, and one hour later the thermometer read 200* but no smoke. So I kicked the smoker up to 225*, and 30 minutes later the thermometer read 225*, but no smoke and very little heat coming out of the smoker. So now 250*, and the same results. No smoke and very little heat coming out of the smoker. Thought I had a problem.
Two hours, and I figured it out. I didn't put a hole in the aluminum foil lining the bottom of the smoker, therefore, no air flow. Duh. Pulled the foil since the beans were well contained and within minutes I had smoke and good heat. The beans actually turned out pretty good, but with just a little smoke flavor resulting from previous uses and some good seasoning. OK. So I blew it. Dinner still turned out pretty good.
I had read in an earlier forum about someone forgetting to put a hole in the aluminum foil and never thought I'd do the same. Wrong. Nice to know I can screw up and still have decent product.