Skip to main content

i just opened a bbq rest. and have had variewd success on the quality of my ribs. not sure if the meat or cooking method . seem to have best success with swift light spare ribs but if i cook them and take them out of the smoker and put them in my warmer i wrap them in foil to keep them from drying out and sometimes they get soggy or sometimes they are tuff. i open at 11am and close at 7pm. i try to have ribs cooked by 10am but do not want to leave them in smoker all day. if i dont sell them all i will put them in the cooler over noght and reheat them the next day. no complaints from customers, i am just concerned that i cant get a concistent product. i dip in a marinade sauce and rub with a rib rub and cook for 3 hours at 225. need some pro. advice. comment on chickens also.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I start with spareribs, cut them to st. louis style, rub the ribs and the tails(that is what I call them) smoke in my sm 250 for 3 hours at 315 and hold at 170 for 1 hour. remove all the meat and slop with sauce and then wrap in foil and refrigerate. The tails I cut into rib tips and trim for pork and beans. When ready to serve I will put the ribs wrapped in foil and into the over or the smoker at 250 for 2 -21/2 hour and then move to steam table for lunch and dinner. They fall off the bone. Customers really like them and the rib tips are popular. Let me know if there is anymore I can do
http://forum.cookshack.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23910...761031983#1761031983

I have been cooking Hormel St. Louis Style ribs since January or so and I have people almost every day tell me that my ribs are the best they have ever had. (including the famous restaurants in Memphis, Birmingham, Texas, etc ...) I take little to no credit for this for I am not a "great" cook by any means. I attribute all of my success to Cookshack.

My name is Jeremy Telford and I own a place in Ruston, LA (population 20,000 when the university is not in school - 30,000 + when they are) called Dowling's Smokehouse. We are a very simple operation consisting of barbecue sandwiches, ribs, sides, and so on. I subscribe to the philosophy of "Keep it Simple Stupid." What I strive to do is to take 2 or 3 or 4 things and do them very, very well. I do not try to do too much. I think many times people overextend themselves and lose focus of what got them to where they were in the first place. Then the quality on the front end begins to suffer.

For ribs I season both sides with Cookshack Rib Rub and Cookshack Spicy Chicken Rub and cook for 4 hours at 228 using an even mixture of apple and hickory wood. I use the commercial grade SM150 model for all of my cooking. They come out GREAT every single time! I start the ribs around 6:00 - 6:30 every morning and they are ready b/t 10:00 -10:30. (yes I do have people that come in to eat ribs at 10:00 in the morning) I then wrap them in the wide type heavy duty aluminum foil and place in an holding oven with humidity control that I bought from KaTom.com restaurant supply. Does not get any easier.

Any leftover ribs are refrigerated overnight and reheated the next day in the holding oven. When they are good and hot they are served to customers or pulled and used for the beans. My personal opinion is that the reheated ribs are just as good as the fresh ones as long as they have not dried out too much. Just got to keep an eye on them.

Any questions, please ask and I will get back to you when I can. Thanks. I love this forum and have learned so much from it.

Jeremy Telford
owner, Dowling's Smokehouse
Ruston, LA 71270

don't have a special recipe for baked beans. I use Allen's brand that I buy from Ben E. Keith Foods.

NOTE: I have found that the best way to hold ribs is not in foil - instead do this.

When you take ribs out of the smoker wrap them very loosely in 18" wide food service film. Make sure that there is no way for air to get to the ribs until you are ready to cut them. The film does a much, much better job of keeping the ribs from drying out. Be sure to wrap them loosely as the film will shrink some due to the heat and puncture the film if you wrap too tightly.

WoodBurner: I use a Metro holding cabinet and set the humidity level to 8. I have no idea what this equates out to though. Mine is an un-insulated holding cabinet and if I could do it over again I would spend the extra money to get the one that is insulated. Mine really causes the kitchen to get warm.

At the end of the day I just simply move to the walk-in. The next morning I get them into the holding cabinet around 7:30 - 8:00. The most I hold them for is one day. If they start to dry out I get one of my employees to pull the meat off of the bone and we sell a "Pulled Rib Sandwich." This makes an excellent sandwich and is really becoming popular. And I actually make better money by selling the sandwich as opposed to slabs or rib plates.

Hope this helps you guys some.

Jeremy Telford

Yeah, the 18" film is definitely the way to keep ribs. For me, it keeps them much more moist and is a heckuva lot cheaper than using aluminum foil.

Jeremy Telford
owner, Dowling's Smokehouse
Ruston, LA 71270

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.