Skip to main content

My 008 leaks smoke around the door and the paint on the door and the frame is peeling away where the leaks are occuring.

The paint looks bubbly and appears to be a plastic like coating. I am concerned that it will cause premature rusting and wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this issue.

Is it normal and if not what should I ask Cookshack to do about it? Should it be replaced? As I said, I've only smoked on it three times and this is really bothering me.

Thanks
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Mine did the same thing when new. It is from the heat escaping around the door and melting the paint. I haven't had any trouble with rusting or otherwise. Once the smoker gets seasoned up well, the leaking should stop, mine did. If you are still concerned, call CookShack customer service at 9 am in the morning. You should have the number with your paperwork.
quote:
Originally posted by GLH:
Mine did the same thing when new. It is from the heat escaping around the door and melting the paint. I haven't had any trouble with rusting or otherwise. Once the smoker gets seasoned up well, the leaking should stop, mine did. If you are still concerned, call CookShack customer service at 9 am in the morning. You should have the number with your paperwork.

Thanks GLH,

I'm ok with the smoke leaking out as it won't take me long to get that thing seriously seasoned up and nicely sealed. Smiler

My main concern is the paint melting, just wanted to see if it was just me having the problem, and what to do about it if anything.
quote:
Originally posted by GLH:
Are you gonna need to return the smoker? I would like to know what he said because mine is the same way, which I thought to be quite normal. Might be too late for me, but I don't wanna send it back for sure, so maybe it don't matter.

GLH,

I found no need to return the smoker as Tony explained that the powder coating is impossible to have adhere to stainless steel and that while it may peel back from the SS, it will not from the carbon steel on the exterior.

No need to be concerned about rust and as it's only peeling on the rim of the door it really doesn't even bother the cosmetics of the smoker.

Hope that helps....

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.