Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

That's easy...... the elite has a better heating element(750w vs 500w), the elite goes up to 300 degrees as opposed to the 250 degrees for the smokette,,, the elite has the electronic temperature control and the smokette doesn't. The elite has the "meat probe" and the smokette doesn't. the elite also holds more meat than the smokette. And the last reason is simply because it's fathers day and you deserve it Smiler
Does your wife like chicken? Roasted or smoke-roasted chicken cooks best at higher temps. You'll get better skin on the chicken at 300.

Anything you cook low and slow (say 200 to 250) will probably cook the same in either one. Like pork shoulder, brisket, ribs.

But think about the chicken.
Hmm... I'm confused by these responses to the original question. As far as I can see (and I am looking at the catalog) the heating element is the same for both models - 750W, with the max temp for BOTH being 300 degrees. So the chicken skin excuse holds no water :-) True, it doesn't have a meat probe, but you can get a good thermometer for less than $150. They BOTH have digital readout and electronic temp control. And, they BOTH hold the same amount of meat. Other than the probe, the only difference is that the Essential has a black, powder coat finish on the front and sides, while the Elite is all stainless. The top and insides on BOTH are stainless. For me, I rather spend the $150 on a cover, wood and spices. Besides, "stainless" steel may be stainless, but it is fingerprint and greasy smudge prone as I am reminded every day when I look at my refrigerator. I got the Essential and I am very satisfied. Good luck with your choice.
The differences described above are between the Elite and Smokette O9, both stainless steel. Cookshack doesn't make the black powder coat any more so stainless is the only option. The differences described above are accurate including the smaller element for the Smokette.

My suggestion is if you're planning on smoking chicken, which I'm sure your wife would like, then get the Elite. You need the higher temp to produce better skin on the chicken.
From the CS website (today), not sure what "catalog" you're using:

Smokette:
http://store.cookshack.com/p-1...stainless-steel.aspx

4.2 amps, 120v Single Phase, 500w heating element

Smokette Elite
http://store.cookshack.com/p-347-smokette-elite.aspx

7 amps, 120v Single Phase, 750w heating element

The Smokette has a smaller element and the Smokette Elite has a larger element.

You may be looking at old information on the forum, so always go to the CS and compare the info on the main website. This forum has been here 10+ plus so the info can be confusing.

My suggestion

Call CS and ask and let us know what they say. If you have a catalog and there is conflicting information, they certainly need to hear about it. If it's correct and the website is not current, they need to know that too.
I love my CS AmeriQue and wouldn't trade it for any of the so called competetors on the market. Unfortunately the CS web site is laid out in a manner making it somewhat difficult to really review and compare the currently availabe models. There is still quite a bit of outdated data on the site that is easily accessible, which lends to the confusion. Since the Essentials line was replaced by the re-introduced SM009 in stainless it is even more confusing. I had an old spreadsheet that I made of the previous models that I have updated for the current models. I'll put a jpeg here and if anyone wants an Excel file they can PM me.
OK, I stand corrected. The "catalog" I received in the mail shows the Smokette having two models, the Essential and Elite, but the price sheet shows only the SM009 and the SM025. The black Smokette may not be available through Cookshack directly, but it is available through other retailers.
quote:
Originally posted by nysmoke:
OK, I stand corrected. The "catalog" I received in the mail shows the Smokette having two models, the Essential and Elite, but the price sheet shows only the SM009 and the SM025. The black Smokette may not be available through Cookshack directly, but it is available through other retailers.

correct, the Essential line is discontinued, but retailers may still have stock for sale.
Cabana Dan,

I would reminder her that the smoker will last a lifetime and since you have a good 40yrs left. That would only be less than $4 a year more for a smoker that you can cook full slab of ribs on.

You will be much happier with the 14x18" shelves,IMO.

Yep TN Q, I have one of those discountinued esstential 020 and am as happy as a frog in a pond.I love those 14x18" shelves and don't have to worry about finger prints on the SS, not that I'm messy.
I started out with a Smokette several years ago and loved it. The money I spent on the numerous cheap smokers I went through would have more than paid for the Smokette. I upgraded to an AmeriQue earlier this year and have not regretted it. I have used the AmeriQue almost every weekend for the last 4 months. The temp probe, timed cooking, and the auto kick down to the holding temp are fantastic features. However, I have not fully weaned myself from my Smokette. I have thought of selling the Smokette, but I can’t bring myself to stop using it yet. I keep telling the wife I need it incase we have the need to cook for a larger group.
All great info!! My 40th. B-day is on Wed. and I have been dropping hints like crazy. When I was a young boy, if I wanted something really bad for Christmas, I would cut out a picture and tape it to the fridge. Am I too old to do that? I keep telling my wife about the smoker and emphasizing the ELITE part. If thats all she remembers, ill be doing good. Wish me luck!!
Dan
Hey your birthday is so close to Christmas, I would go for the birthday/Christmas combo. How can she turn down a chance to take care of both birthday and Christmas. Just tell her you will wait til Christmas to get it. You will be wishing you could do a $150 upgrade after a while. Come on, More Power,Commercial Meat probe and wider are well worth upgrades. Let's not forget the best part the Digital Display. Come on now. Good Luck and Happy Birthday.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.