Skip to main content

Has anyone done any cooking of briskets or butts at 200 degrees or slightly lower? I use my cooker in a small BBQ operation. Lately I have been cooking at 199 or 200 degrees primarily seeking tenderness and more sleep. One problem I think I see is less smoke on the meat. Last night I cooked 3 briskets 15 hours at 200. When I opened the door this morning there was not big cloud of smoke as usual. The apple wood chunks I used seemed to be 1/2 burned. Comments or suggestions welcome. grumpy@mtbbq.myrf.net.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Two different questions.

1. Yes, smoke below 200 many times, in the old days, the CS's (commercial) even had a preset for 180. Briskets low, slow and long.

2. Smoke. A temp above 200 isn't required for the wood to burn, if I guess your question. I don't think the 1/2 burned is because of the temp. Could just be the wood itself. In longer smokers, no it won't smoke that entire time. You'll have to reload if you want more smoke.

Truthfully, the best smoke is the smoke you don't see. Keep in mind a "cloud" of smoke can actually be the particles the smoke is carrying as it first starts to smoke. In stickburners, it's preferrable to wait until the smoke clears for the clean smoke.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.