Skip to main content

I just smoked spareribs for the very 1st time, and the whole family loved the results. I've only had my sm025 a few weeks now, but found making the ribs so easy. Used a simple rub: 1/4 cup paprika, 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, 1 tblspn kosher salt, 1 tblspn black pepper and a t-spoon of cayenne. I removed membrane (of course), put on a light coat of mustard, applied rub and marinated only 1 hour. Ribs went into a cold smoker 1 per shelf. temperature at 250, 2.5 oz chunck of hickory and 1 piece of lump charcoal. 4 hours later the ribs on the lower shelf were done; a half hour later the top shelf ribs were done. Nothing but ash left of the wood, and a couple of small, lit fragments of the lump. I did not foil or baste or sauce during the cook.

Results: fall off the bone tender (the way I like 'em), juicy, with a deliciously smokey flavor - to me just about perfect. My wife didn't even want sauce - loved em dry! My 12 year old son, who's had a fair share of ribs (though not competition quality) said they were "amazing".

Anyway, I'll end this rant now. Just wanted to let everyone know how happy I am with my Cookshack!!!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks Pags. . .
To answer your question: the old-fashioned way- opened up the door and poked it (carefully) with a fork (at several different times). Started at about 3 hours. When the fork went in easily, out came the ribs.

I think there's no way with ribs to just go by time. There's so much variance with bone size, amount of meat between bones, etc., etc., that almost no 2 racks of ribs will be done at exactly the same time. Just my opinion though. At least with the sm025, with its larger heating element, it rebounds pretty quickly to temp.
So, based on my extremely limited experience, ribs need to be checked often (babied)! If I'm missing something, I hope someone with vastly more experience than I can show me an easier way (that's foolproof).
Last edited by Former Member

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.