Skip to main content

I decided to try the reverse-sear method for steak last night. Went to the butcher and picked up a couple inch-and-a-half thick bone-in ribeyes.

Mmmm-mm.

Dry-brined them for a couple hours and then set them on the kitchen table for an hour. Preheated the CS to 235 with a few oak chips for a hint of smoke. Using the builtin probe, I brought them up to 120° which took about a half-hour. During the last 10 min., I got my gas grill as hot as I could get it (single-digit temps out there, mind you). Brushed some olive oil on them (no beef love this time - butcher had no suet, darnit) and transferred them to the grill, 3 min per side, dusting them with pepper after flipping, and let them rest inside the kitchen.
Verdict - despite the lack of a crunchy bark, wife and son agreed:
Best. Steaks. Ever.

Beautiful pink inside with just a bit of grey on the edge under the bark.

I might go a little longer on the grill next time to try and get a better bark, but for thick cuts of steak, this is my method from now on.
Sorry, no pics - steak got eaten too fast.

PS. And then the evening came to a perfect end with my Patriots finally playing a complete 60-min game and breaking the playoff losing streak Big Grin
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This is similar to the procedure that I've been using for thick cut steaks for a number of years. Dust the steaks liberally with kosher salt, and leave unrefrigerated for an hour or two. Pre-heat the smoker (or oven) to 200F. When ready, I sprinkle Montreal Steak Seasoning on the steaks, then cook them to an internal temp. of 95F-100F.

I used to finish them on the gas grill, but now prefer the stove top instead. I film a 12" non-stick saute pan with peanut oil, and turn the burner to high (also a good time to turn the oven fan on). When it's smoking, I put the steaks in, and cook 2-3 minutes a side to an internal temp. of 120F. I remove the steaks, tent with foil, and let them rest for about 10 minutes. While the steaks are resting, I deglaze the pan with a cup of ruby port, and reduce by half to make a sauce.

Perfect medium rare steaks every time without a hint of grey on the outer edges.
Last edited by dls
Well. dls. We're having the smoked New York strips steaks tonight. I looked into the old wine cellar, and we're out of Port (looks like a trip back to the foothill wineries). Back to the original plan.

These bad boys are 1.5" thick so they'll lend themselves to smoking with a sear at the end. Instead of finishing on the grill, I'm pan searing them in Roasted Garlic Grapeseed Oil. Salad. Merlot.
The flavor, smoke and searing were right on. Searing in garlic grapeseed oil added a nice flavor. Medium rare. Only problem was the steaks had some gristle.

First time I got steaks at Raley's that weren't great. My history with them has been very good so I'll give them a pass on this one.

Yesterday, I saw some nice looking Porterhouse Steaks that were over 2 lbs each. Didn't buy them cause I was stocking up on sale items.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.