Skip to main content

Hello all! I am looking at purchasing the FEC 100, and am curious if anyone has ever cooked a suckling pig, say 20 - 25lbs in one. Would I even want to do this? I am trying to reduce the amount of cookers I have to buy. I am contemplating installing an outdoor pizza oven, which along with pizzas will cook wood-fired chicken, fish, steaks, and a 25lb pig. Problem is, the pizza oven itself is $3k, the same as the FEC, however it will cost me at least another $3-4k to have it installed. That's alot dough just to be able to cook a suckling pig. I'm not a huge pizza fan, but the idea sounds fun. Anyway, will the FEC do a good whole pig, and still offer crispy skin? Thanks in advance.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I saw her picture one time before. What I was hoping to find out is if this is a good way to cook a small pig. I've seen them rotisseried, and that looks good, but the FEC seems like an easy way to do it. Would I be missing out on anything cooking it in the FEC, as opposed to other smokers? I don't think I would cook a whole pig very often. thx!
It was so easy...I stuck it in and kept the hopper full of pellets. For more details, go to Pig pics & description

This was a 36# pig. Main thing you've got to construct the pig rack. I'd add 2 more spikes on the cross pieces to hold the pig. I wired the front legs but didn't need to do that.

Should have brushed the skin with oil and dusted with rub. The skin just lifts up off the pig when it's done. People "pick" which meat they want to eat.
Wow! You made my day!

I think that up to a 50# pig would work in an FEC100. There's plenty of butt room with a 36#er. Did you notice that the snoot is out the exhaust? The Twyfords of Ulcer Acres did one in a Backwoods the same way, except the poor piggie had a crick in its neck from no pipe to stick the nose out.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.