Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You are going to love the versitility you have between the BGE and the SM045. I have a large BGE and an SM040 (same size but without the temp probe and SS cabinet)and enjoy them both. Use the SM040 for all my smoking and the BGE for my grilling. I would guess you are on the greeneggers.com forum also. Jer
Yep, I follow the BGE forum. My egg is the Large also. It's still an amazing way to smoke or grill. I can run 12-16hrs on one charge of charcoal for the low-slow 200-220F range, using a BBQ Guru Digi Q temp control - awesome addition. But, the BGE is a bit of a labor hog to get it set up, that's why I'm looking forward to the convenience of the Cookshack addition.
quote:
Originally posted by adlkrodgers:
After serious review online, I ordered a Super Smoker Elite - sight unseen! I've looked at many cheaper brands, but seeing the great reviews and avid fan base, I took the plunge. I'm keeping my Big Green Egg, but I'm sure looking forward to frequently using my new Cookshack smoker!

Good for you! I just got an SM045 as well and I currentl have a nice pork butt in there at 175 degrees, working its way slowly to 190-ish. I am really stoked - as well as smoked. This is my first smoker, and my first project, so trying it out on the family will be interesting. Smiler

Enjoy your Cookshack!

Cheers,
Ron
I ordered I guess you call it a sm040 ( black box )from Cabelas last Sunday 11 sept. Cabela's says it's shipped today. I hope that's the truth. A good friend loaned me his sm050 for labor day weekend. Unbeliveable!!! I was sold and had to have one. I went with the black box just because of the price. We are lookin forward to being part of the Cook Shack tribe. Newbie Cook Shack somkers Steve & Holly.
Thanks for the welcome Jer and VA Slim. Thanks for the tip as well Va. I'll do that. Although I smoked all the meat in the house while I had control of my buddys 50 I'm really looking forward to workin with my new smoker. Holly and I do love to feedIng family and friends good food. I don't belive it will be a problem fettin them to show up now!!
quote:
Originally posted by S & H:
Sounds great. Let me know how the salmon turns out. My dad made the best smoked salmon when we lived west of the mtns in Washington. Looks like I'm a week behind you. Seasoning my 40 now.

Salmon was great! Used 180 pit temp & 140 fish temp, then let rest, cut, vac packed for my fve lunch protein. I used brine 1st for overnight, then water rinse, pat dry, fish dry rub with lemon slices on top before putting in smoker. Time was about 1 hr 45 for a skinless side. Next time I may allow the brined fish to soak in water to reduce saltiness, then heat up the boc 1st to 225 so apple wood is smoking good, then drop temp down to 180 since the wood didn't smoke much at a 0-180 range! Smoked salmon was awesome & moist nonetheless!

Good luck & have fun!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.