Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks Okie! This great info came just in time.

We took in 100 free range turkeys in for butchering last week.

The hens came back around 16-17# {girley birds}; The toms are 22-24#. Our cool August was great for weight gain.

It looks like the hogfarmer will be smoking the bigger rascals because our customers prefer the girley birds.

Thanks again! Roger
Thanks Tom, come on, you've got to have SOME information for me to add Wink

I'm actually working on a new format so I can pump them out. Some of the same headings from Turkey, so that each of the 101's will be consistent.

One thing I need to add is more info on time/temp.

MN,

Hope all is well with you, good to hear from you. How's the new unit working, go it broke in enough?

Smokin'
I hesitate to clutter what is a clean,straight forward approach that will give fine results.

Since you asked,here are a couple ideas that can go outside the main text.

Soaking the cheese cloth in vinegar before wrapping,also works well.

Butter flavor Pam spray works as a baste,etc.

There is some research that shows boiling may break down the honey,so you can add it after boiling-as it begins to cool.

Injecting a traditional brine,really needs to set overnight,as you suggest.

A flavor injection can get by in a few hrs and some massage.

After brining,if you can allow the turkey to air dry,uncovered in the refrigerator overnight ,it may help the skin.

I know that the reasons to brine are covered elsewhere,but it allows a cushion where the breast can rise another 5�-7� degrees and still be comparable to a 160� breast.

This allows both meats to finish together.

A couple tips to save refrigerator room over the holidays.

Defrost the turkey in an unscented trash bag,in a cooler,covered with ice.

Use your probe therm to check that it stays sub 40�.

When brining,place brine and turkey in doubled unscented trash bags,cooler and cover with ice.

Use probe as above.

Getting your rub to go where you wish can also be achieved by mixing a couple TBSP with a cup of mayo and spreading it this way.

Remember a basic of mayo is oil.

Just a couple of quick thoughts.
For injections, like Tom is saying, we need to think about "viscosity". Thick injections not only will be hard to push through the needle, but they'll tend to "stay" in the spot where it's injected.

You need to use something thinner OR inject in about 100 spots.

Anything dark will leave needled tracks, it will be little black spots, lines whereever you inject.

Smokin'
Got you PM, found this message.

It works fine...

...now that I've fixed it.

ALL 101's can be found on the main page with a link in the text on the left side.

Thanks for letting me know.

If anyone seens a bad link, please PM me (I'm not always in the forum) AND send me the URL of the post with the bad link. I'll fix any that I can.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.