Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You might want to talk with Shake out at the BBQ Shack in Kansas. He taught me smoked turkeys a number of years ago and was very helpful. While he uses an Ole Hickory, I think he could still be of help to you. Not sure if he will remember me but feel free to use my name, John "RibDog" Verville.

BTW, here is a link to his website: http://www.thebbqshack.com/

And here is a link to the brine he uses:
http://www.thebbqshack.com/brine.htm
Well, don't know why John sent you to Shake instead of me and Turkey 101?

You're in the wood shed now John. :P

Do you have a 500 now? Hadn't heard.

Me? I'd brine them. I'd also cook them at the same time/temp you do for an oven bird. 325.

Key is are you going to be doing lots of them, and selling them for eating later? Precooked to reheat or pick up that day? I've seen it done both ways.

I would look for a consistent size, say 12 to 14 lbs. Larger will be tougher.

You can also do just like you do at home, use a piece of foil to cover it once it gets to a "pretty" stage. Visual will get you lots of resales.

Did I say brine them?

For me, I like to brine them 36 hours or more.

You could also do some cajun style if you want, but that will add cost to the brine.

Call me or post and I'll help.

Russ
quote:
Originally posted by jjhacker:
Think I asked this question before. Does one inject solution into the frozen birds that are normally available in grocery stores?

Thanks

John

jj, start a new thread and ask we don't want to threadjack David's original question and then have your answer get lost.

cal,

yes, you bet I'll put up a 2010 results when it's a little closer.
quote:
Originally posted by smoklahoma:
... but my favorite brine is straight buttermilk.

rt
smoklahoma

Not to be politically correct, but that's not a brine, it's a marinade. Key difference being the lack of salt. Marinades will also penetrate on a little bit, brines will penetrate.

It's so confusing, but I know people who do both.
quote:
Originally posted by Randy E:
... But i have not been able to et the FEC500 up to those temps.
RandyE

Not to threadjack Randy (maybe start a new thread?)

That happens if both burners aren't burning. I had one where I was cooking a 325 to 375 and at one point it started dropping.

With the two burners, I ran at 350 to 375 for 6 straight days.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.