Skip to main content

While I'm waiting for my new CS to arrive.. I need to cut up some Oak blocks to get it ready for seasoning. In a prior post I see that I don't need huge chunks.. rather pieces that are about 1"x1"x2"???

Does it make any difference if bark is left on the wood? Some of the branches are about 2-3" in diameter.. it would be easy to just bring a piece of branch to the bandsaw and lop of a bunch of "rounds"

The seasoning info is probably in the manual.. but, in the meantime...

Does the interior need to be washed before seasoning to remove the oils used in forming the metals? Dish soap OK?

How much wood is necessary to season the 008 over how many hours?

Thanks for the help... WeeWilly
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've never read about anyone washing theirs out, however you know that there are some out there that are a little manic about that kind of thing. If your one, knock yourself out, but I don't think it is necessary. As far as seasoning, use about 4 to 6 oz. of chunks, and no, the bark doesn't need to come off. Those branches sound perfect. Hack em up like you said you were going to and let them dry for about 3 or 4 months. Some will tell you longer, but with small pieces like this I don't think it is necessary. Enjoy your new toy, er, I meant tell the wife how much this is going to take a load off of her.
Don't use new woods, be sure to use wood that has been seasoned. The CS will come with some hickory that should work well for seasoning. Some folks claim that the bark has a more bitter taste than the wood. I don't find it to be a problems. If you want to wash it down before seasoning, it won't hurt a bit but be sure it is dried out well before you turn on the electricity!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.