Skip to main content

Please use extreme caution when moving an FEC100 over unlevel ground, the unit is top heavy and any shift in weight will change the center of gravity which can cause the unit to topple over. Case in point:

I was loading my FEC100 on a trailer for transport to a contest. The FEC was sitting on my driveway with the pellet hopper (empty) facing down slope. My driveway has a 6 degree slope. When I realized that the top hat on the exhaust (which is not attached) was still in place. I removed the top hat and opened the door of the FEC to place it inside. The momentum of the door started the unit to topple and the racks slid out which futher exacerbated the weight shift and the door flew off. Have you ever tried to hold 400 pounds?

Fortunately, the only thing that happened was a bad bruised/broken hand and a loss of dignity for my stupidity, but the FEC was ok. We went on to the contest, our first in almost a year and first on a pellet cooker and took a fourth in pork but other than that, the judges apparently got sick and needed a Heimlich to recover.

Mack
Smoke'n Ice
Original Post

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.