Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well, not one can answer that but you. As smoke flavor is hard to define, etc, you'll really have to decide. Plenty of restaurants feel the FEC is perfect.

I can say this.

I've never heard anyone they had oversmoked FE food.

I have heard the same said about CS150's. Because the heating element provides the heat, not the wood, you can add chunks of wood for flavor. You CAN oversmoke in an CS150.

There are more differences to the smokers than just smoke.
My first question would be: what are you planning to cook with the most frequency? Second question: do you like a heavy smoke flavor on your meat/poultry/fish?

I've used both units at my restaurant. Apples to apples, the 150 will lay down a heavier smoke flavor on chicken and seafood...products that require relatively shorter cooking times.

Big meats (brisket,PB's) are a toss up. I use an FEC cook temp of 250 from beginning to end and love the results...enough smoke to tell it's there but not so much to disguise the flavor of the meat. Though, some FEC cooks will 2 stage big meats to boost the smoke flavor.

Ribs fall right in between the smoke factor. My at-home Amerique ribs are smokier than the restaurant FEC ribs but again, I could easily reverse the results if I wanted to.

Push come to shove, if you like a real robust smoke flavor on your food, the 150 will do the job. I just prefer the FEC for multiple reasons.
I appreciate the info. I myself have an fec 100 about 1 month old and still trying to get better with it. I do prefer a hevier smoke flavor than I am getting now on the 100. I have read up on your advice on the forum and started to lower my temps in the beggining so that there is more smoke. I was just curious on the difference. Is there more ways to get a little more smoke out of the fec 100??? I've read where people will set either suspend lump coal or a piece of wood over the pot to get a more desired smoke flavor.
Thanks for your help.
quote:
Originally posted by Gilly's BBQ:
Is there more ways to get a little more smoke out of the fec 100??? I've read where people will set either suspend lump coal or a piece of wood over the pot to get a more desired smoke flavor.

Lump charcoal won't add much smoke flavor. A friend of mine who competes in Texas devised a wire rack which will suspend a small stick of wood over his FEC firepot. He uses green Mesquite and just get it to the smoldering point. Then he knocks it off to a small pan in the bottom of his FEC. He's done well, comp wise with this trick.
Like Max says,there are tricks-if really critical.TX has a lot of offset stick burners and many judges are used to a heavier smoke.Some comp areas may need sweet sauce,some vinegar,some very light red.Some in TX aren't allowed sauce-after it leaves the cooker.

As comp cooks, we are seeking the one,or two bites for the judge.

Many cater/restaurants may find that their clients may accept the smoke level right away-while the new FEC cook is the one thinking maybe it needs heavier smoke.

Just experience that we have seen and discussed.

Keep trying,and we'll get you to what works for you. Smiler

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.