Skip to main content

I don't intend to make any mods or anything, but I was thinking about my smoker the other night and I don't understand why it won't/can't get hotter than 250*. Ans safely too, I might add.

It is well insulated so raising it's max temp to 400* dosen't seem like it would pose a safety hazard. Also, it is almost a closed system, so very little heat would be required to build temp. I would think that the current heat coil could easily raise the temp high enough based on my experience with a Brinkman electric smoker. Those things are very prone to heat loss and they can hit 400*+ in the summer with a similar element.

I embarked on this train of thought as I was just wishing that I could bypass the grill/broiler portion of wing or chicken cooking. I thought the steam might be a problem, but the moisture comes from the meat, not a water pan, so if it were the cause of rubbery skin it would be a problem for the FEC's as well, regardless of where their heat came from.

Any thoughts? Would a substitute thermostat be all that was needed?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Todd,

I don't know all the answers to your questions but I think that you would probably have to switch out elements too. I tried to search for old posts on the subject b/c I know that I have seen some but came up empty. Maybe someone else can be more search savvy than I. I don't know what the element is rated at but you may run into a problem with such long cycles to get the temp up that you would seriously shorten the element's life.

I built my homemade smoker from an old insulated Metro proofing/holding cabinet. My next goal after acquiring a CS unit, is to convert my old smoker from propane to electric. GCS and General Parts have the elements and thermostats and my father-in-law is going to weld a smoke box for me.

I understand why people don't mess with their CS units but I think it's fun to see/hear about the customized/home built units. It's kind of like a custom car show. If anyone from CS is reading, remember imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

To come back to the rubber skin comment. Moisture in the CS should not be an issue if the temp is hot enough because you are using the fat in the skin to fry itself. The higher heat seals the pores to hold the moisture in the chix which then allows the skin to reach frying temps.

just my .02
Mark
Thanks Mark.

I had an old smoker I built using a commercial freezer. I started with propane too, but switched to a Meco 1500 watt electric element with a temp control. Pretty much a charcoal starter with a thermostat. It worked well, and the heating element costs all of $30 I think. It's amazing how much heat you can generate if you have an insulated box.

Your moisture comments reflect my thinking too.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.