Skip to main content

Did my first packer brisket in the AmeriQue this weekend; weighed in at 12.14 pounds. I did minimal trimming of fat; sprinkled evenly with kosher salt, medium ground black pepper, cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder; let this rest in frige for 24 hours. Double probed; one in flat and one in point; set AmQ to 225 and flat probe to 190. Started around 7 p.m. last night using 8 ounces of JD oak chips. Decided to split the flat and point as I've seen recommened here on the CS forum and found this nice video that illustrates separating the flat and point. After instant probing the flat around 10 a.m. this morning decided to take it out with temp of 185 at the thick end. Split off point, which was at 167, and returned to the AmQ until it reached a temp of 200. Results are great thanks to the CS forum.

DB
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Congrats on the success.

ME? Brisket 101 shows you a trimmed brisket so you can see that the point is basically a "U" shaped hunk of meat.

I don't separate the point and the flat until I pull it, then I put the point back in for burnt ends. I think for newbies, trying to monitor the two pieces is just more than I'd ask them to do.

One of my plans for this year (I always have a plan) is to use my new HD Video and make some Video 101's. I'd have a few suggestions on how he trimmed that. Oh, and I'd post a warning about wrapping in plastic wrap; most home wrap will disappear if cooked that way, you need to use the higher temp plastic wrap.
Hey Smokin
reviewed the brisket 101 some time ago and it is very informative. Mostly double probed just out of curiosity as to how the separate chunks of meat in the packer would take on heat. As you noted I separated the point after pulling when the flat came to temp; separating the point and flat at this time was almost effortless and that isolated piece of the video helped. I agree on the other points you mention about the video. It would be great to see some 101 videos here on the forum.
quote:
Originally posted by TN Q:
.... It would be great to see some 101 videos here on the forum.

That's my plan. Just bought a MEGA fast PC from my company (two letters beginning with H) and it's a Quad Process, VISTA 64 bit with 8GB of ram.

Plenty of power, now I just have to learn to edit videos.... oh what fun. Big Grin

I hope to make lots, this new HD Video I bought is amazing and takes great stuff.
quote:
Originally posted by Tom:
....,but where are you going to find all this spare time.

Not retiring are you?

That's a very good question and I don't know the answer.

Let's see;

Prep for the contest season
Rebuild my PC
Taxes
Redo all 101's
Do new 101's
Build website.
Figure out the video thing.

Heck, I can do that all by next Monday...

better get back to the brisket discussion, I might be accused of thread jacking

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.