Skip to main content

For dinner last night, we smoked a 3 lb pork loin (left over from the pork chops we made a couple months back) brined in a new recipe I found. Most pork brines I've seen are pretty basic, so I looked for something a little more complicated just to see how it would turn out. The fact that this recipe calls for a 1/2 cup of gin is strictly coincidental. I was looking for more ingredients figuring it would impart more flavor.

First, I rinsed the loin then followed this recipe:

1/3 cup kosher salt (use ONLY Kosher salt!)
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup maple syrup
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 -2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
1/2 cup gin
1/2 teaspoon whole cloves (I used ground)
1/4 cup fresh rosemary, chopped
10 -12 garlic cloves, minced (or smashed)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
8 cups water

1 Mix the brine ingredients together in a pot and bring to a boil.
2 Stir the brine well to insure the sugar, salt and maple syrup has dissolved.
3 Let the brine cool(I boiled the ingredients in 2 cups of water then added the remaining water in the form of ice to make the brine cold fast), then place brine in a container.
4 Add in pork loin (making certain that it is covered completely).
5 Brine for up to 12 hrs.

Credit to Food.com for the recipe, which I converted to pork loin from pork chops.

I brined for only 5 hrs cause I was in a time crunch. Once the pork loin came out of the brine, quickly rinsed it under running water, heavily rubbed then dusted with Penzey's Chicken and Rib rub. Placed the loin (42*)into a cold smoker set to 235* with 1.5 oz of Alder and 1.5 oz Hickory.

After 3 hrs and an internal temp of 145*, I pulled the pork loin and let it rest for 15 minutes. Cut it up using a nice sharp knife, and it cut like butter. Made nice 1/3" slices on most of the cuts except several were sliced paper thin cause my wife prefers most her roasts cut thin like she was going to eat a sandwich.

It turned out very moist with no noticeable salt flavoring. It had as heavy a smoke flavoring as I would like (and I like heavier smoke), so I'd caution against using more wood. Maybe even go with just Alder next time or some other lighter flavored wood. It was tasty, but next time I'd brine it longer to pick up more internal flavor. The Penzey's rub was excellent.

My wife loved it. All in all, a keeper recipe and a do again.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
I don't like loins, at all, just an overall lack of flavor.

Russ, have you ever tried farm raised heritage pork loins? Berkshire & Durac pigs produce some mighty fine eating pork...at least IMHO. I think they fare much better injected vs brined, and cooked over indirect cowboy charcoal ISO traditional smoking. 275 - 300 with some wood chunks smoldering on the side produces a great eat.
where did you find that brine recipe? it sounds awesome - I've invented a lot of brines, but gin and fresh ginger I had not gotten around to!I've got a brined loin in the smokette right now along with a top round roast. I let it sit overnight, but have gotten good brines out of hours, you can play with the salt/seasoning concentration a bit if you need to rush things. A lot of people don't seem to believe in the beauty of brines.
quote:
Originally posted by MaxQue:
Russ, have you ever tried farm raised heritage pork loins? Berkshire & Durac pigs produce some mighty fine eating pork...at least IMHO. I think they fare much better injected vs brined, and cooked over indirect cowboy charcoal ISO traditional smoking. 275 - 300 with some wood chunks smoldering on the side produces a great eat.

Yup, Pork is one of the big products here in Oklahoma and we get most of them.

Still don't like loins. I do tenderloins and real pork chops, but it's just too much work for me to get any flavor I like.

I stick to bone in thick pork chops if I'm grillin'

Besides, if I have to pay top dollar for PORK, then I'll buy beef.

See, this way there's more left for you guys to buy.
I've tried both Pags recipes (injection and the brine on this page) and we like the brined loin much better. I thought the injected one was very good but the wife didn't like it. She did like the brined one and said she would definitely eat it again.

Followed all the ingredients, except the gin. Cooked it at 220 for amlmost 3 hours. Pulled it out of the smoker at 158 F. Got distracted in the house with the boys or I would have pulled it earlier.

Thanks for the recipe!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.