Skip to main content

My wife has asked me to smoke a couple of Turkey breasts for her work Thanksgiving party. I have never done a turkey or turkey breast before. I have thoroughly studied Turkey 101. I bought an 8 lb fresh turkey breast today so I could practice this weekend. I will be using Okie's holiday brine. First question - should I brine for 24 hours for an 8lb turkey breast??
I'm am also going to use cheesecloth soaked in butter. Second question: How many layers of cheesecloth should I use to cover the turkey? I'm planning on smoking the turkey on Sunday - I'll let you know how it turns out.
Thanks
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

OK. D-day. Brined for 20 hours. Separated the skin from the meat and applied a thin coating of Cookshacks spicy chicken rub. Breast is sitting in the refrigerator now. Will put it into the smoker during halftime of the Bears game with a butter soaked cheesecloth. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Thanks for your help Cal and Okie!!
OK - final results! I set my CS020 at 275 degrees - it took about an hour and a half but it did reach this temp. Smoked this turkey breast for 2 hours and 45 minutes (almost exactly 20 minutes per pound as stated in Turkey 101) with a small piece of hickory and a small piece of apple. My wife says it's "excellent", and I agree. Moist and flavorful - smokey but not overpowering. I guess this means I get to do 2 12 pound turkey breasts for her work party in a couple of weeks as well as a 10 pounder for our family (along with a 18 pound turkey prepared by my wife in the "traditional"manner). A success!! thanks all

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.