Skip to main content

I smoked a 1.98lb baby back tonight,, I seasoned it using brown sugar and pepper,, the end result was pretty good but I didn't notice any smoke flavor,, I used a chunk of cherry wood and a lill piece of hickory,, the ribs had an initial sweet flavor followed by a nice peppery flavor, I couldn't taste the smoke,,

The brisket is currently marinating,,,

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Seasoned,,,, although I'm a lill worried, the few times I smoked I used very lill wood to not repeat my first smoke,,, for the brisket I'm going with a hickory chunk that ways about 3oz and a lill tiny chunk of apple that weighs 1oz,,,, I'm hoping this is enough to enhance flavor and add smoke ring

Last edited by Former Member
The wood will give you smoke flavoring but will not give you a smoke ring. Throw in a chunk of charcoal or use Tenderquick in the rub if the smoke ring is important. The smoke ring is a visual thing as it doesn't affect flavor.

From too much smoke taste to too little. Try something in between. You'll hit the flavor profile you like fairly soon. Also, large cuts of meat can handle smoke from more wood.
The brisket is finally on,,,i will wake up at 6am to cover it and let it finish doing its thing,,, the brisket was larger than I thought,,,its folded at the tip of the flat and touching the back wall of the unit,,i hope it renders enough to fit on the grate,,

More pix will come tomorrow..
Well I might have cooked it too long,, it was just a lill dry,, it was tender and had a good flavor,,, this was my first on the sm008 my second one overall,,,, my next one which will be done next weekend for the holiday, I will use a oil more wood and add charcoal for that smoke ring,,,
If you cooked it to long I would think it would be falling apart. That looks like it still has texture? Please excuse my curiosity but was that a flat? What grade? can you buy a 13lb packer where you live?

I've not had good luck with a smoke ring on the brisket,but I don't use TQ.

I tend to like 6-7oz of oak,cherry,hickory on my brisket,but this(smoke flavor) is so much an individual thing.
It was a SELECT, from SMART & FINAL,, they did have larger ones,, the one I have us a whole packer 8.98 lb I believe,,,
It does pull apart fairly easily and its easy to slice... I might cook the next one at a lower temp,,225°,,,

6hrs unwrapped, 6hrs wrapped, then about 3hrs testing in a cooler covered with towels,,, and an hour of cooling before slicing
quote:
I tend to like 6-7oz of oak,cherry,hickory on my brisket,but this(smoke flavor) is so much an individual thing.

I like the idea of that mix of wood. Do you use equal weight of all three woods? Is that for a ~13# brisket?

I picked up two ~13# brikets at Wally World today on markdown for $1.38/#. I never smoked anything that big before. It is going to be an adventure Smiler

SmokinMAINEiac
Heavier on the Oak than the other two chunks/types. I use this on any size brisket, but try never to smoke small packers. When you have the cs008, it is not as easy to get in the 15-6lb packers thats I like to smoke in my 020.

I learned to smoke the packers without foil, but hey I had Tom and Smokin' to listen to and I know rule number 10 so I never even thought about doing some small milk cow,oh well.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.