Skip to main content

Ok, here’s the question about saucing or glazing the ribs. Right now I smoke my ribs for about 4 hours @ 225. Then I remove them from the smoker, lightly sauce the ribs, place them under my broiler (oven) for about a minute or 2, lightly sauce them again, back under the broiler for about a minute or 2.

I would repeat this saucing / glazing process for about 3 – 5 times until I get a nice glaze on them.

Does this sound about right? Also, should my bbq sauce (which I make) be some what thick in consistency or lightly thicken when saucing / glazing my ribs. Or does it really matter?

Bottom line, is there a better way to sauce / glaze your ribs?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You pretty much nailed the process as far as I'm concerned. I sometimes/usually finish on the grill, but seeing how your grill is only days away from being buried under feet of snow and ice until next June, the broiler is your best bet.

As to thickness of sauce, the thicker it is the faster you'll build up a glaze, but other than that it's just a matter of your personal taste. You can thicken the sauce with xantham gum to help it adhere. You can get that at Whole Foods.
You're on the right track.

Well, thin sauce is glazing

Thick sauce is saucing.

Depends on the sauce, what it tastes like.

For ME, saucing is too think and will overpower the flavor. Now, that being said, if you're a fan of wet ribs and prefer sauce over rub, then a thicker sauce is what you want.

IF you're like me and put a good rub on your ribs, you don't want a sauce to overpower/kill the rub and the glaze is what you want.
I agree with tigerfan, but a good sauce or glaze is nice sometimes. Always go back to the ribs with a good rub, but try the glaze sometimes. Variety being the spice of life. When doing ribs for friends, they get them dry with sauce on the side.

I've got a few favorite wineries and also enjoy visiting others. I love pastrami sandwiches but also like baloney once in awhile. I'm a Bear fan but enjoy watching the Colts or the Vikings(now). Would never take the latter over the prior, however, enjoy the change. But that's me.
As long as we are thinking about rubs/sauces/glazes that COMPLIMENT our cooking method and each other.

A thick, heavy flavored,salted sauce,and salty rub,on top of Hormel salt injected ribs might not work. Eeker

But,we have forum members that have been top winners with Hormel injected ribs. Confused

Maybe,it is balance?

Tigerfan is not too far from Memphis,where they were famous for direct grilling "babybacks" high over 300* charcoal.

They dumped their dill pickle juice into the vinegar,they mixed with water and mopped the slabs with.

When the very dry feeling slabs came off the slow charcoal,they dusted them well with a combo Greek seasoning,chile powder rub.

You also got a small cup of rub at your table.

NO sauce,but they have been a tradition for about 75 yrs.
I have a SMO25 and did 3 slabs of Sam's pork loin ribs (6.79 lbs) yesterday for 3 hours 45 minutes @ 225. I used my own dry rub. I thought they were perfect as is but I had read this glazing approach last week. I sauced and broiled 3 times with some thick sweet OTC BBQ sauce. It was like candy and would do it again.

Has anyone tried this approach with chicken? Sam's has some large skinless breasts that we smoke @ 225 and pull @ 160. They come out great but think this glazing approach would give them some great color.

Thanks!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.