Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Last weekend I cooked my first "hot and quick" brisket in the FEC100. It was a small packer cut - the trimmed weight was slightly over 8 pounds. I cooked it at 350 and it was done in 4 hours. I didn't bother foil wrapping it at 170 as some people do (some don't). I did the usual FTC and let it rest for about 2 hours.

It had a very nice smoke ring (this actually surprised me) and was quite moist. Overall it didn't have the tenderness I get when I do a low and slow cook. My wife and I rated it a solid "B". I would probably try foiling it next time and see how it goes.
I have done a modified version of this. I started at a regular temp around 225, then wrapped at 160 meat temp and then cranked up the temp to around 280 till the meat was done.

They turned out well but the doneness window is smaller, easier to over cook. I really like to do this if I am cooking several at one time. Just pull the ones that are done as they hit temps.

RandyE
As Randy said, the High Temp Brisket method works but has a VERY small window of being done. At those temps it can overshoot the finish temp rapidly.

You want to do it, go ahead and practice.

Me, I'm old school. I know it works, but I don't need a brisket in 3 hours. Overnight is fine by me and I like the results.

Your individual mileage may vary.
Like many of us,at one time or the other,on purpose,or by accident ,I've done most all.

Yes,there is one, now prominent, stickburner on the TV series that likes to cook thru at 275º.

You,as a professional, would know that most things are one of a series of steps and adjustments must be made.

I had been taught that the longer big meats stayed in the plateau,the better they broke down collagen and rendered more fat.

Thus, guys in Smokin's area would do large cooks down around 200º for 18-20 hrs.

There are some good comp cooks in the same area,that may start at 250º,move to 275º,and finish out at 300º+.

The same guys may only hold the finished meat for the traditional beef period of 20 mins,carve and plate immediately for turnin..

If it is close to overcooking,they may go straight to the cambro filled with ice,set in front of the RV 's A/C vent,plastic bag and go to ice water,etc-all to instantly stop carryover heat rising.

As Smokin' says"the window is very narrow".

Those cooks practice and know if you live by the flame,you may die by the flame. Eeker

There is one prominent cook/teacher that was a fine pork cook and had to learn to cook KCBS/FBA contests,which meant briskets.

He started cooking nine large walmart packers everyday to get his tenderness down and fed them to the busloads of tourists traveling I-75.

He needed speed,so he adjusted to commercial hot oven temps to cook..

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.