Skip to main content

Siting in my refrigerator. The question is how should this be done? I was going to use some big bad beef rub from amazing ribs, after dry brining overnight. Then cook till 150 and wrap it, probably with some barbecue sauce and apple juice and then take to 190? Would a lower temp give me a rarer meat? I prefer rare, yet do not want to screw up the tenderizing process. Tips, points, suggestions? Probably hickory for wood, a little over 4 oz?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Unless you're friendly with a store (deli butcher) who has a commercial grade slicer, find your sharpest knife and slice as thinly as possible. 1/8" of an inch is good; 1/16th of an inch is better.

If manually slicing, begin by separating the meat horizontally into 2 pieces. This will provide a flat surface and make things a little easier. Chilled meat will slice easier vs. warm. Just go slow and watch your fingers. Chefs are taught to keep their finger tips tucked in while holding whatever they're slicing, dicing, etc.
Took off at 133, missed my 130 as I was shoveling snow. Very flavorful, and medium rare. Very happy with the effort, have lots of the juice to bag it with after I slice it up. Again, thanks for the pointers and help. Best beef I have ever done on a smoker, hands down..

I did let it sit in a cooler with a towel over it wrapped in foil for about a half hour or more

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.