Skip to main content

Given that there will only be 3 of us, I bought a small 3.5# single rib roast. I would appreciate any tips you can offer, Is reverse-sear still appropriate, or should I follow my usual practice of smoking it at 225 and then searing in the oven at 450? Should I use a rib rack to make it stand on the rib?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I was assuming it was a bone-in beef rib roast. If you pull it from the smoker at 135, it is already medium-rare, heading towards medium.  Any time resting or in the oven means more done than that. In my house we prefer rare to medium-rare. The OP didn't specify his desired doneness, so I tried to just caution against over-done rib roast, which is shoe leather IMO. Merry Christmas, jobiewan!

thus my confusion as to what cut of meat we were talking about...  should have been more direct as to why I was questioning it...  oh well, it's all good everything worked out in the end and I think you guys have convinced me to give this method a shot next time.

@bobbarrows, about how long was it on the smoker before you pulled it?  what type of wood did you smoke with?

How would this all translate to a small pork butt?  I’ve done many 7 lb Boston Butts in my CS, usually about 15 hours at 225 to get a final temp of 195.  If I’m cooking a 3-4 lb butt, any thoughts here on the expected cooking time to achieve the same final temp?  When family and friends can gather again, hope to be back to the larger roasts but can only serve my pandemic “bubble” for now !

If you butterfly it you can start it that moening and have it for dinner,

Butterflied Pork Butt: Faster and Better | ThermoWorks

Here are my results from my first attempt at this method:

I started with a 8# butt. About 5-6# after removing bone and fat cap. I started the smoke at 10 AM at 270. To my shock, it had reached 160 by 11:30. Wrapped in foil and transferred to a 330 degree oven. Again, to my shock it had reached 190 by 12:45. I decided to slow it down, reducing the oven temp and unwrapping the meat. At 2:30 it had reached 201. Checked it with thermopen and it was like butter. Unwrapping it allowed a nice bark to form.
Verdict:
Only an hour and a half in the smoke was not enough to get good smoke flavor. Next time I will start at 230 degrees. When it reached 160, I will wrap and heat until it reaches 190. Then the last 10 degrees will be done unwrapped.

Last edited by bobbarrows

If one cannot consume all that is cooked in one sitting or next day leftovers then a vacuum sealer is a necessary tool.  My Food Saver Pro died after many years of faithful service. One day only the light came on. Bought the Lem MaxVac and have been very satisfied. A bonus is that in re-heating, the bags can be submerged in warm or hot water, depending on the item without drying out.

Last edited by oldsarge

When I do a prime rib, I do a liberal salt, black pepper, granulated garlic and onion rub and then top it with fresh minced rosemary.  I let it sit uncovered in the fridge overnight(dry brine).  The next day I smoke it to 110 degrees IT.  I will let it rest 20 minutes or more, and then do a reverse sear on the grill, or in the oven.  They turn out great.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • PR 2012 3

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.