Skip to main content

I have decided to try out the 2000-2001 Recipe Contest Grand Prize Winner "Smoked Beef Brisket" by Aaron Brooks and have a question about the trimming of the brisket.

Every brisket recipe I have ever tried (before I found Cookshack.com) called for ALL the fat to be trimmed off. The reason being you want to rub, baste, sauce the meat, not the fat.

Is this correct thinking? How much do I need to trim it if at all? Confused

I'll be trying it out this weekend. Wink
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Good question, one we don't discuss often.

Personally, unless I'm cooking in a contest I don't cut off ANY of the fat.

That fat, for inexperienced Brisket Cooks is your crutch. Trim too much off and you won't be able to have as much of a window of excellence. With time, you can practice and trim fat.

Think of it like this. When you slice it, and it's say 1/4" think, how much of the outer part of the brisket will you really see. That 1/4" is the flavor. Fat is flavor.

One, if you're not experienced, the extra fat will keep it moist

Two, when it's done and done right, the fat just comes off easy with the back edge of the knife before you slice it.

Now, one "variation" of this concept. There are two sides to the brisket. The top I'll call it, has the point on it and all the fat. Look for any "hard" fat or yellow fat and trim that off. One the bottom side, this will be the "meat" side and you can trim some fat here so you can get more rub on your meat. Be careful, when in doubt, don't take any fat off.

That way you can season the meat side to get flavor on that slice and leave the fat on the other side to help keep it moist.

I'm no expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn and that's my 2 cents.

Russ
I wanted to following this recipe this past Sunday but didn't have time to marinade. However, I did make the finishing sauce and used it, very good indeed!!!! It complimented my slightly spicy bark perfectly!!! I want to smoke another brisket and follow the entire recipe next time. I am concerned about the amount of salt being used though?? At the last minute I couldn't get a decent brisket, all I could find was a little itty bitty 2,8 lb flat, but it had a good fat cap, which I left on. It turned out nice a moist and the finishing sauce was very very good.....a keeper for sure.
Smokin, you sure stay at the Holiday Inn a bunch. You eatin' too much of your famous beans?

When I started smoking briskets I'd scrape all the fat off--it comes off easily. But now I try to trim the fat so that, after it's cooked, each slice has 1/8" of fat on it. That seasoned brisket fat cap adds incredible flavor and moisture. I'm just not very good at trimming it evenly.

Any suggestions to improve my trimming, other than practice? And maybe not staying at La Quinta any more?
I'm a consultant and travel a lot. Besides, I'm trying to get them to do a commercial with me. Big Grin

It's personal preference, trim or not. I try to keep it simple for most of the forum users. Guess we need to have a Brisket 202, for advanced users...triming fat, injecting, advance techniques...

Depends on when I stay in Holiday Inn next to work on that.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.