Skip to main content

I currently have a Lang 84 deluxe and have learned to cook well with it. I like the idea of the FEC-100 pellet cooker. I ahve looked on-line but have never seen one in person. Seems most on this forum have some slight problems. Any out there without any problems? I just can't decide on FEC-100, so help me out.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The FEC-100 is a great smoker and if you get one you won't regret it. I've had mine for almost a year and will probably be getting a second one by the end of the year.

Sure, you'll find folks on this forum that have an FEC-100 that have reported issues. Along with those reported issues you'll also see positive comments about how Cookshack took care of their problem. Cookshack is a great company and they stand behind their products. It's not human nature to point out when things are working fine, so generally speaking only the issues get reported.

Call Cookshack Customer Service and see if there's a dealer in your area so that you can get an up close look at the FEC-100. You'll see that its a well built cooker.
Don
I bought 2 fec-100's in nov. 07, and yes I had a small problem with one unit, BUT cookshack took care of it and made sure I was happy.they do stand behind their product.when you use it you will be amazed how easy they are to operate and the results they produce. their is a learning curve because they are so different from your stickburner, I think you might like them.
I have had my FEC for over four years now. While I have had a few very minor problems, they have all been taken care of by CS with no questions asked. They are a pleasure to deal with and I am still very happy that I have one. No, make that two!

And besides all that, they also have a thirty day money-back guarantee. Can't beat that.
Its a learning curve problem. Like any smoker you can't expect to cook perfectly the first time. Most of the problems I've had were not the fault of the FEC just my mental stupidity.

I bought mine through Rod Grey from Pellet Envy. He has been a great helpful person in pointing me in the right direction. He told me what to expect as the cooker "broke in".

Needless to say I've been very happy with my FEC in practice and just because cooks. It gets its first trial by fire May 1 & 2.
quote:
Originally posted by ornage68:
.... Seems most on this forum have some slight problems. Any out there without any problems? I just can't decide on FEC-100, so help me out.

I'll have to disagree with that comment. As there are multiple 1000 posts in the FE forums, what you pick up on the post of people asking for questions.

You don't always see the "I love me FE" post because when it's going well, people don't post each week of their success.

But look at the contest forum and you'll see how many people win with it all the time.

We just need to find some teams or restaurants in the SE US for you to hook up with, that way you can see first hand, that's the best way.

I've had 5 FEC's in 5 years and once had any problem with them, I had an ignitor go out. Oh, I had a fire in mine but it was because the 50mph winds blew back in the exhaust and caused an issue.

From a workmanship/quality standpoint, don't let the posts about problems disuade you. That's part of the FE family just coming in and asking for help when they need it.

If you have specific questions, just ask away, we'll help you answer them.
You can't go wrong with Brian. He is a super guy and will be there when you need him. Be patient get the walls nice and dark. It will all come together.

Tell him I talked you into it, so he will give me some more pellets free! Just Kidding, but tell him Scott in Prattville said hey!
I just got my FEC-100 on Monday. I have ran it twice, empty, to season it and get used to running the unit before the first trial run smoke this weekend. I can 100% say it has functioned like it should since I uncrated it. No problems with the unit at all.

The cookshack cookbook.. well that is another story!
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
quote:
Originally posted by ornage68:
.... Seems most on this forum have some slight problems. Any out there without any problems? I just can't decide on FEC-100, so help me out.

I'll have to disagree with that comment. As there are multiple 1000 posts in the FE forums, what you pick up on the post of people asking for questions.

You don't always see the "I love me FE" post because when it's going well, people don't post each week of their success.

But look at the contest forum and you'll see how many people win with it all the time.

We just need to find some teams or restaurants in the SE US for you to hook up with, that way you can see first hand, that's the best way.

I've had 5 FEC's in 5 years and once had any problem with them, I had an ignitor go out. Oh, I had a fire in mine but it was because the 50mph winds blew back in the exhaust and caused an issue.

From a workmanship/quality standpoint, don't let the posts about problems disuade you. That's part of the FE family just coming in and asking for help when they need it.

If you have specific questions, just ask away, we'll help you answer them.

Ill have to disagree with that comment, you also dont see on the board the problems that are not posted, Lot of problems are dealt with over the phone, not on the board. Ive cooked 5 contests so far this year and every contest had FE100 breakdowns during the night, Steeleville contest 3 FE's had major issues, including my own. In all fairness, Cookshack has been great in helping fix the problems, but I still have someone up, watching my FE through the night
IMHO Cookshack could give corporate America lessons on customer service. Not once has CS (Bill) ever not bent over backwards to help me in anything that I asked.

That being said.........

I wonder why Rod Gray from Pellet Envy.... a Cookshack dealer and pellet cooker for years is now cooking (at least part of the time) on a Jamie Geer stick burner pit?

Maybe he needs more smoke too?

I'm cooking about 150lbs of various meats this weekend for a block party with a 100% hickory pellet. I am very anxious to see how this works out.

I will poll around 60-75 people on the amount of smoke flavor............

Gawd I hope it is positive!

Otherwise...... Jamie??????

Skip
quote:
Originally posted by Coach:
IMHO Cookshack could give corporate America lessons on customer service. Not once has CS (Bill) ever not bent over backwards to help me in anything that I asked.

That being said.........

I wonder why Rod Gray from Pellet Envy.... a Cookshack dealer and pellet cooker for years is now cooking (at least part of the time) on a Jamie Geer stick burner pit?

Maybe he needs more smoke too?

I'm cooking about 150lbs of various meats this weekend for a block party with a 100% hickory pellet. I am very anxious to see how this works out.

I will poll around 60-75 people on the amount of smoke flavor............

Gawd I hope it is positive!

Otherwise...... Jamie??????

Skip

Bill is awesome to work with for sure, but, He can only do so much, they wanted me to ship my unit back to them to find out why it wont cook below 190. Ihave replaced every part in it almost.

Whos pellets are 100% hickory? cookin pellets.com?
You can get 100% hickory pellets from Candy Sue at BBQer's Delight.

Regarding Rod, it might have to do with his not wanting to haul his big trailer to every cookoff. Kind of like Johnny Trigg not taking his big motor home to every cookoff. But if you want a definite answer, send Rod an email. I am sure he will share his reasons with you.
quote:
Originally posted by RibDog:
You can get 100% hickory pellets from Candy Sue at BBQer's Delight.

Regarding Rod, it might have to do with his not wanting to haul his big trailer to every cookoff. Kind of like Johnny Trigg not taking his big motor home to every cookoff. But if you want a definite answer, send Rod an email. I am sure he will share his reasons with you.

I've never seen Rod's rig in person....

but... it looks like a bumper pull toy hauler to me with the 100s on the tail

Not sure how he would pull a Geer......

good Idea....I'll email.....

would be interesting to know why the stick burner over the CS

and how the rig is set up.

Skip
quote:
Originally posted by Coach:

Skip

What Rod explained to me, because on long hauls, he doesn't have to pull the trailer or when he's by himself it's just easier than the bigger rig

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.