Skip to main content

Hello Everyone,
I am thinking about buying a Cookshack FEC-750 from Brian Jett and going full time in the BBQ concession business but before I make such a large investment I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight as to how much money can be made as a full time business. I have confidence in this equipment as well as my ability but would be giving up a well paying job.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

don't take this the wrong way, but here's my take based on what you said:

you don't have an established clientele, you don't know your market, you don't know if there is a market in your area, and you don't know if you should be investing $13k+ on a cooker (never mind all the other equipment required to run a business.)

Why don't you start with a fec100 or two and see how the market bears. Do this as a caterer in your spare time (taking vacation time from the well paying job) and see if:
1. there's a market with money to be made
2. you like that enough to do it full time
3. you need something as big as a 750 right away.

I'm pretty cautious, but if you're young and don't have a family dependant on your income, why not take a chance?
Thanks for your reply. I've worked on two "Rib Days" at 2 different locations (C-stores) and we sold 80+ slabs of ribs. My clientele would be the high traffic locations I would seek to let me set up shop for a day. I have been a foodservice food salesman for 30 years and do enjoy the food industry. I am currently workinf as foodservice operations manager for a c-store change and this would be viewed as a conflict to the man I work for. We have 150 models and our rib days have not een successful without the FES 500 and if I spend 13000 why not limit the capacity for a few more 1000. I appreciate your points it would be a big step and I just wanted feedback from some people who may do it for a living.
As long as your eyes are open it sounds like you have a plan. I cater in addition to the day job and just ordered a 500. I've made due with my 100 for a year now as my primary cooker (though my big trailer has always been available).I'm looking forward to having to add a 750 to my 500 some day soon!

best of luck to ya... unless your in my area Wink
With an avg food cost of 30% avg or less u can see with controlling all other exp it can be very profitable YES. ALL FOOD BUSINESSES MAKE IT OR BREAK IT ON FOOD AND LABOR COST. To get f/c Divide f/c by selling price this is f/c % . I think this is one of the most important cost to keep as low as possible and to monitor regulaly. Rent is another killer. Here is a thought! 11:00-3:30 Tues-Sat lunch spot 100 transactions a day at $7.75 $15000-$18000.00 monthly sales. 1-2 full time and two owners. Owner net each AVG $3500.00-$4500.00 monthly. LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.