Skip to main content

Hey guys,

Hope you are having a great Memorial Day weekend. From some of the posts I read previously, I know that many of you are looking for an alternative to beef brisket for BBQ. This past week I purchased a case of chuck rolls from Sam's Club--I had to ask the butcher for them, but they had them in the back. Price was pretty decent at about $2.25 per lb. The case contained 3 chuck rolls at approx. 18 lbs. apiece. For prep, I rinsed and dried them, rough trimmed the outsides, and split them each in two, yielding 6 beef roasts of approximately 9 lbs. each. I seasoned them just like a pork butt and put them in the FEC100 at 250 degrees. I would have preferred a little lower temp. (maybe 225), but I'm a little behind schedule and need to get them off by noon tomorrow at the latest so that I can do a load of ribs for a shindig tomorrow night Smiler I'll post the results after they are done. Happy Q'n on this Memorial Day weekend!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sorry for the belated reply! The chuck rolls were awesome, and made some outstanding pulled beef sandwiches. I left them on 250 for the entire cook time, and the first of the chuck rolls were ready in about 12 hours, and I pulled the last ones at 14 hours. My goal was an internal temp of 195. They were done a good 4-5 hours before serving time, so I wrapped them in foil and stored them in the Cambro until dinner. The chuck rolls pulled just like a pork butt and had a great flavor. If you are looking for a "kinder" cut of beef to cook on your smoker, then look no further than the chuck roll!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.