Skip to main content

I am considering using the PG500 for some cold smoking for cheese. I want to use my A-Maze-n Pellet smoker basket. I know that the suggest using the warming drawer to place your cheese. But that's if your using the PG500 turned on. What if I placed the basket of smoldering pellets in the warming drawer and placed the cheese on the racks in zone 3 or 4? Would that work?

I think I would need to remove the drip pan. Has anyone tried this, or know what I am talking about and think it will work?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Padrefan98,
I cold smoke cheese on my PG1000 using the tube smoker, not the basket. I put it on zone 1 or under sometimes, and put frozen water jugs (milk cartons) either in zone 1 or 2 to help keep the temp down. I suppose with the 500 you will not have as much a problem with it retaining heat in the summer as I do but you will have success doing it that way. If the basket doesn't work I recommend the tube. I have seen where others switched to the tube from the basket. A-Mazen can advise you on which is best for you. I put my cheese in zone 3 and 4 and fill it up. Nothing better than smoked cheese, except Brisket of course!, and bacon! No need to turn on anything.
Last edited by de

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.