Skip to main content

I've owned a Cookshack Smokette Elite SM025 Electric Smoker for about 9 years now and have had multiple issues with its Digital Controller head.  I have already replaced the original controller twice over the years and eventually have the same issues recur over time...intermittent controls, inability to set temps, partial screen outages, etc.  The smoker has been dissassembled, all wiring checked (including signal continuity) which then eventually results in replacement the controller.  The smoker is stored on my deck and is covered with both the original storage cover and a tarp.    Before covering, the smoker is completely cooled.  Most recently, I have a temperature control limiter issue which is not allowing the controller to turn on the heating element (planning to bypass limiter to confirm my suspicions).

Looking to see if anyone has had similiar issues.

Thanks in advance!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Almost anything can happen to an electronic controller. A power spike comes to mind. While it will not typically fry the innards, it can often weaken them and thus affect proper functioning. It still works but accuracy can be affected. A slight spike can go unnoticed. Dirty power could be another culprit. Over time, sensitive components just wear out. The article at the link below may help.  I am also going to bring this to Stuart attention.

https://www.techrepublic.com/a...e-right-conditioner/

Just remember, anything with circuits and such will die eventually.  Nothing lasts forever. Back in the day (my day) radios had tubes and resistors  and capacitors and the like.  The first and foremost cause of said radio (or TV) was a leaky capacitor. State of the art but lifespan not forever. BUT!  Easy to work on and repair. The good old days.......

Last edited by oldsarge

dcarmorgan - Not sure if pictures or something was posted but all I got was a great big empty space.  Regarding price, it is not out of line for something designed specifically for a specific smoker. Besides the physical controller and components, there has to be some sort of resident software on board that is specific to the size of the smoker. On my Amerique bought in 2012, the controller and board were made in the USA and that costs a little more because we Americans have a higher cost of living and workers are paid accordingly.  Still works!

Not evident to me that CS is having "many" problems with the controller.  It being the least pricey smoker, maybe they just sell more of them and once in a while, a problem crops up and is posted. If there was a serious issue, the forum would be crowded with people posting.

KCAV8R - There are plenty of PID kits and complete units available on the internet that are dirt cheap and on up to matching the price of a genuine CS controller. You can pick one up and hack your smoker and hope for the best. Folks have been doing that for years on some other makes of smokers, mostly just to get a digital controller to replace the stock analog.  

Last edited by oldsarge
Thanks for infoSent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
-------- Original message --------From: Cookshack <alerts@crowdstack.com> Date: 9/11/21 2:57 PM (GMT-07:00) To: dcarmorgan <dcarmorgan@comcast.net> Subject: [New Reply] Cookshack Smokette Elite SM025 Electric Smoker - Digital Controller Issues == To reply by email, write above this line. ==New Reply By oldsargeOCookshack Smokette Elite SM025 Electric Smoker - Digital Controller IssuesOReply by oldsarge Not sure if pictures or something was posted dcarmorgan but all I got was a great big empty space.  Regarding price, it is not out of line for something designed specifically for a specific smoker. Besides the physical controller and components, there has to be some sort of resident software on board that is specific to the size of the smoker. On my Amerique bought in 2012, the controller and board were made in the USA and that costs a little more because we Americans have a higher cost of living and workers are paid accordingly.  Still works!KCAV8R - There are plenty of PID kits and complete units available on the internet that are dirt cheap and on up to matching the price of a genuine CS controller. You can pick one up and hack your smoker and hope for the best. Folks have been doing that for years on some other makes of smokers, mostly just to get a digital controller to replace the stock analog.   [ View Reply ]CookshackYou received this based on your notification settings. You can adjust your settings or unsubscribe anytime.Cookshack, Inc. 2405 Sykes Blvd. | Ponca City | Oklahoma | 74601 580.765.3669 | 800.423.0698 www.cookshack.com sales@cookshack.com

We have used that same controller for about 20 years. We don't have many issues with them. We have about 75,000 of them in the field and this year have sent out 48 replacement controllers.

Voltage issues can certainly create problems as well as moisture. Anyone who has had multiple failures please call me directly and we can discuss how your unit is set up and try to resolve the issue so you have years of service out of your cooker.

Thanks,
Stuart

Stuart...thanks for your reply.  I have been working with Bill Vice over the years and have already purchased two new controller heads only to have the same outcomes.  My SM025 is well taken care of and is always stored away from harsh weather.

I have been recently working with Bill on additional troubleshooting as the smoker is again inop (3rd time).  The most recent issue seen is that when smoker is powered up, indicated box ambient temp rises in excess of 300⁰F which then disables the coil warm-up.  It would seem the limiter could be the possible culprit.  I hope to get to the next round of troubleshooting this late Fall to include temp limiter bypass and heating element power/continuity.  Bill advised that if the coil and limiter check good, the controller might be the issue.

Again, thanks for your response!

VR

Ray

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.